J.S.Sharpe Carp

The J. S. Sharpe Ltd rods forum.
Bob Brookes
Zander

J.S.Sharpe Carp

Post by Bob Brookes »

I posted in another thread that I had bought a Sharpe's Aberdeen carp rod. It has arrived and I am really pleased with it. It is absolutely straight, the dots line up so it hasn't been 'turned'. I am sure that all whips are original but have just had an extra lick of varnish.

I have a question. Unlike my Avon, the butt and tip rings are not lined. I am pretty sure they haven't been changed. I notice that SofaSurfer's pair do have lined rings but what about others. Is mine right? Is it a late model? The code stamped on the butt collar is 3.12.153.

I attach photos of the butt and tip rings.
Thanking you in anticipation.
Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Kingfisher
Catfish

Re: J.S.Sharpe Carp

Post by Kingfisher »

My Sharpes stalking rod is exactly the same Bob, the ceramics fall out over time. I've been meaning to search around for some to fit to my rod.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

A fine looking 'wand,' Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Doesn't look although any 'ceramics' have fallen out! Unusable with the 'cutting edges' left surely. More a case of strong steel(?) rings.

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Superb rod Bob you will love using it. The rings on mine are unlined too but not as beautifully polished as yours..good powerful action they will turn a train...
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Olly wrote:Doesn't look although any 'ceramics' have fallen out! Unusable with the 'cutting edges' left surely. More a case of strong steel(?) rings.

The guides are exactly like that on my rod but the butt, the tip and the one below the tip are lined whereas the others are the same as Bob's. I would guess that they were lined originally.
Last edited by Kingfisher on Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

My Avon has lined and my Carp has a lined tip ring so obviously yours is a cheap copy Bob - but I'll give you twenty quid for it, can't say farier than that :Sarcasm:

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Kingfisher wrote:My Sharpes stalking rod is exactly the same Bob, the ceramics fall out over time. I've been meaning to search around for some to fit to my rod.
Hi KF,
Those rings were never lined.
Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Aquaerial wrote:Superb rod Bob you will love using it. The rings on mine are unlined too but not as beautifully polished as yours..good powerful action they will turn a train...
That's encouraging as I thought it looked original.
Bob

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Dave Burr wrote:My Avon has lined and my Carp has a lined tip ring so obviously yours is a cheap copy Bob - but I'll give you twenty quid for it, can't say farier than that :Sarcasm:
You're just a cheeky boy! :Hahaha:

Return to “J. S. Sharpe Ltd Cane Rods”