Sharpes Scottie Avon 10'

The J. S. Sharpe Ltd rods forum.
Penninelad
Arctic Char

Sharpes Scottie Avon 10'

Post by Penninelad »

I advertised this rod for with others on the site but it did not get sold so it was placed on EBay where again it went unsold.I decided to have a good look at the rod and get as much information about the rod and Sharpes that I could from this site and the Internet in general.having considered all this information I have come to the conclusion(and I am no expert)that the rod is what it claims to be.I have therefore decided to buy it myself but could anybody answer these questions for me.When was the rod made?The numbers on the aluminium butt fitting are 39 14-8.The marking on the top section ferrule are 4 V.The ferrules are marked with the usual red dots and fine copper wire appears to have been used for the bottom butt ring whipping,the whipping below the ferrule on the butt section and the whipping above the ferrule on the top section.What would a fair price to offer my friend.The cane is good and straight,the rod bag is not original.Only the butt and tip rings are agate lined.The rings are low bell
Any assistance you could give me would be much appreciated.

PS:All the other rods( apart from the Chapmans Dennis Pye)are still for sale.
Mark Davies

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Sharpes Scottie Avon 10'

Post by Santiago »

Any chance of a pic??
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I was very interested in it Penninelad but I got my Avon Superb, which is wonderful, and couldn't afford or justify both. Tough call though. I'm certain someone will help you with the information and I just know you will enjoy the rod.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

In my opinion this is quite a rare and sought after rod, possibly rarer than the Scottie Carp. Times are tough and there is not much money about, there are a lot of good rods coming on the market. It won't fetch as much as a Mk IV Avon, I think a fair price would be about £150.

JohnClyde
Perch

Post by JohnClyde »

'39' codes date from September 1963. Here's the link to the table http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/vie ... 67&t=68095

I just got a Sharpes featherweight 8' #5 fly rod and its the nicest I've ever had. Beautiful beautiful things.

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Many thanks for your help.It seems a beautifully balanced rod.I have been doing a working party on the River Douglas near Wigan today and this rod seems just right for that sort of small river fishing for chub ,barbel and other silver fish.I'll try to put a photograph on.
Mark Davies

Pond.Olive

Post by Pond.Olive »

Sharpe's 'carp' or 'avon' rods are both highly desirable rods, as are most of the Sharpe's impregnated rods. The avon is more scarce so I hope you have made the purchase. I think that they may have been made for a short period only, perhaps in 1960 and 1961. I would say that it is worth much more than the more easily found B James mk 4. I have seen very few in twenty years. At present, I feel the market place is somewhat depressed but take heart: things will improve, and remember they aren't making any more!

TL
Richard

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Yes I bought the rod and have used it teamed up with various centre pins on local rivers and bagged some fair sized chub with it.
Mark Davies

Return to “J. S. Sharpe Ltd Cane Rods”