I love a rod with a little piece of history

The J. S. Sharpe Ltd rods forum.
Tengisgol
Barbel

I love a rod with a little piece of history

Post by Tengisgol »

I thought you might be interested in a renovation that I completed last year and with what I believe has quite a nice history to it.

A dear friend of mine asked if I could source a cane fly rod that he could use on the Upper Wye for the odd trout or grayling. As luck would have it, I managed to locate an 8' #5-6 Sharpes Scottie Featherweight from Farlows, perhaps a little short for the job but lovely nevertheless. It was however a bit bashed about! At some stage it had a plastic reel fitting attached and the whippings were coming undone.

When I collected the rod the owner told me it had been his father's and so I asked for some more detail (I think it is always wonderful to reflect on the past owner's of a nice cane rod and also the person whose wonderful craftsmanship created rod in the first place). I discovered that this gentleman's father was rather famous!

His name was Walter Goetz, a German born artist and illustrator (by absloute coincidence, as is my friend for whom the rod was to be a gift!). In fact, Goetz was the man who addressed Europe across the BBC airwaves on behalf of Neville Chamberlain after the Munich crisis in 1938! By all accounts, the PM needed a German speaker at short notice and a car was sent to get Goetz from his club and to take him to the BBC. If you search his name you'll see an obituary in the Independent that fills in all the details.

Now, my friend (who now has the rod), had a good friendship with Bernard Venables when he was alive and it seemed to me that BV and Goetz had a similar artistic background (and may have moved in similar circles) so I mentioned that when I finished the renovation and sent some pictures to Mr Goetz Junior and this was his reply:

"Wow, what a job you have done !!! Thank you for taking the time to take so many photographs and to send them on to me.

I cannot believe the string of co-incidences... My father worked for the Daily Express before and immediately after the war as a cartoonist. But during the war he worked exclusively for PID (Political Intelligence Department) which was in fact an offshoot of the MoI, and then in PWE (Political Warfare Executive) which was the precursor to MI5. He was head of the leaflet department, where he devised the contents and made the drawings for the propaganda leaflets that were dropped from British bombers over Germany. The work combined his experience as a linguist (the leaflets were written in German) with his abilities as a draftsman.

Like Bernard, he also worked extensively as a commercial artist before the war, designing numerous posters, most notably for London Transport (Christie's has a sale of LT posters in October, and you will find one of his posters in the sale). I never heard Dad mention the name Bernard Venables, but it sounds as if they would almost certainly have known each other given their confluence of skills, interests, and professional lives."

When I completed the rod I didn't attempt a 'concours' restoration but put a nice handle and stripper on it, sourced some replacement transfers and carefully patched up the Scottie dog. I had removed some trout scales from the general muck when I was cleaning it from original and even varnished in three of those small scales on the underside, just for fun.

Every time I held it, I thought about Goetz, his life, and where the rod had been and I thought about what contemplative thoughts he must have had, with that rod in hand, reflecting on those crazy times.

Last week, in its new owner's hands, it got hooked up again for the first time since I patched it up - the result was an eight pound Wye salmon! Unfortunately the hook pulled just as it came to the bank but it seems it must still have a little magic in it!

Here are some before and afters:

Last edited by Tengisgol on Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Re: I love a rod with a little piece of history

Post by Vole »

A fine restoration, and a great story to go with it.
The scales are a nice touch, linking the rods function and history with its restoration and future - now that we all (seem to) have "inlay-itis", I doubt that I'll be alone in asking - any chance of a picture?

P.S. Lots of amusement to be had by searching Mr Goetz's "images" Google-page; I quickly found this: http://www.baileystblog.com/2013/06/09/ ... ists-life/

Elsewhere (a "Lilliput" magazine site), thought to be an influence on Ronald Searle's style - high praise!
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Very nice little bit of history there Sir.

Once again an example of how small a world we live in.
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Vole wrote:A fine restoration, and a great story to go with it.
The scales are a nice touch, linking the rods function and history with its restoration and future - now that we all (seem to) have "inlay-itis", I doubt that I'll be alone in asking - any chance of a picture?

P.S. Lots of amusement to be had by searching Mr Goetz's "images" Google-page; I quickly found this: http://www.baileystblog.com/2013/06/09/ ... ists-life/

Elsewhere (a "Lilliput" magazine site), thought to be an influence on Ronald Searle's style - high praise!
Hi there, I fear I may have painted a picture (regarding the inlays) of iridescent fish scales carefully placed into the rod to create an aesthetic marvel when...the reality is that...just on the underside of the transfers there are three equidistant blobs of varnish beneath which are three tiny trout scales (probably about 5mm in diameter each). If you picked the rod up unknowingly you would just think that, having made a reasonable fist of the restoration, it was a pity the person doing it took their glasses off before checking the undercarriage for blemishes!

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Nice story but I think your rod is from after 1964 when Farlows and Sharpes went into partnership also it was around the sixties that sharpes were impregnating their rods,just an opinion could be wrong :Scared:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Harry H wrote:Nice story but I think your rod is from after 1964 when Farlows and Sharpes went into partnership also it was around the sixties that sharpes were impregnating their rods,just an opinion could be wrong :Scared:
Oh blast! I don't know how I feel about that! A bit mixed up! On the one hand, it would have been wonderful to live in ignorant bliss, but then separately these things have to be 'outed'.

I don't of course consider I was misled, it would be very easy to mistake one of your father's rods for another over that time period, but you have to be right about this on the simple basis of the chronology (and I would very much defer to you on this one).

Hmmm. I might take this one down because if you read just the first post it might mislead.

Woodytia
Crucian Carp

Post by Woodytia »

Great story if only some of those wonderful rods could talk. Anyway it is another reason why I think of cane rods are the best sort of memory stick, each one can remind you of a fantastic session on the bank of your favourite water.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Tengisgol wrote:
Harry H wrote:Nice story but I think your rod is from after 1964 when Farlows and Sharpes went into partnership also it was around the sixties that sharpes were impregnating their rods,just an opinion could be wrong :Scared:
Oh blast! I don't know how I feel about that! A bit mixed up! On the one hand, it would have been wonderful to live in ignorant bliss, but then separately these things have to be 'outed'.

I don't of course consider I was misled, it would be very easy to mistake one of your father's rods for another over that time period, but you have to be right about this on the simple basis of the chronology (and I would very much defer to you on this one).

Hmmm. I might take this one down because if you read just the first post it might mislead.

OK, for anyone that might have picked up this thread late, please note that the original post has been edited just a little (to protect the innocent!) as it made reference to the rod being older than it appears it actually is. Initially we thought it was pre-war but it seems it may only be approaching its 50th birthday and is therefore (as it is only a couple of years younger than myself) what I would class as still a mere youngster!

I hope that is the correct thing to have done and you still enjoyed the story!

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Tengisgol wrote:

We all make mistakes it is how you learn.I would not loose any sleep over it,also your right family stories get passed they just got it attached to the wrong rod :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Harry H wrote:
Tengisgol wrote:

We all make mistakes it is how you learn.I would not loose any sleep over it,also your right family stories get passed they just got it attached to the wrong rod :Hat:

Absolutely, thanks Harry!

Return to “J. S. Sharpe Ltd Cane Rods”