Rod Taper Archive

This forum is for recording rod taper specifications.
Rich

Rod Taper Archive

Post by Rich »

Hi Mark.
I would love to see a taper archive as part of the forum.
Both British and American makers often share tapers with DIY rod builders which has proven to be of immense use allowing me to recreate classic rods at home without having to buy an example of the rod first.
One fact that has emerged is how much the same make of rod changes as it evolves from year to year or from maker to maker.
It would be great if members of the forum could submit details of the rods in their collection.
It would just need the make age and model Then the length and the measurement from flat to flat in inches every 5" or so ( please state if the rod is stripped or varnished) Any additional information is always useful Length of handle, type of fittings, ring spacings and ferrule size in 64ths of an inch etc.
Finally and possibly the most important what they think about the rod and comparisons with other similar rods.
This would not only allow DIY makers access to a very valuable tool It would allow everyone to evaluate future purchases taking much of the mystery out of buying cane. Lets face it some of the descriptions on fleabay leave a lot to be desired. There are often some little gems for very little money because people don't recognise them !
Here is an example of what i mean A great little 4wt I have just made. (taken from Hexrod taper archive http://www.hexrod.net/Hexrod/hexrod-c.pl):

Design Report

Payne 100 - 7ft 6in 4wt 2pc
Payne 100 - 7ft 6in 4wt 2pc
Posted by Dennis Higham on July 10, 1998.
From an unvarnished rod

Parameter Value
Geometry: Hex
Rod Length: 7 ft 6 in (=90 inches)
Action Length: 6 ft 8 in (= 80 inches)
Line Weight: 4 DT
Pieces: 2
Line Fished: 30 ft
Tip Factor: 1.161
Ferrule Type: Standard
Ferrule Sizes: Computed
Ferrule 1: Size 12/64 Wt ~0.225 oz.
Rod is 11.52/64 (0.180 in) at 45.00 in from tip
Outside diameter (around apexes): 13.30/64 (0.208 in)
Point
(Inches) Dimension

0 0.064
5 0.070
10 0.086
15 0.101
20 0.116
25 0.131
30 0.143
35 0.155
40 0.167
45 0.180
50 0.191
55 0.203
60 0.218
65 0.231
70 0.244
75 0.269
80 0.301
Last edited by Rich on Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Rod Taper Archive

Post by Mark »

All setup chaps.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

That is a fantastic idea.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

PaulJohno

Post by PaulJohno »

I have put a few on the open library on Hexrod and have kept a few on my personal library.

Easy to use program that uses what measurements you in put in inches so no problem for use older chaps to understand.
I have the dimensions take off a Scotties Barbel Perfection on paper that I will get around to putting on Hexrod one day.
Shocking variation across flats measurement on the rod I repaired and then copied, as let say the measurements I kept and used are an average of the 3 across flats at any point on the rod.

I have the Chapmans 500 saved if any body wants it?

Also I have a PDF copy of rod building for amatures by the great man Richard Walker if anybody wants one sending. It has quite a list of tapers.
Guess it's well out of copyright and free for those who wants it?

Message me and I will send it as an attachment. paul@1johnson.karoo.co.uk

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Pauljohno wrote:I have put a few on the open library on Hexrod and have kept a few on my personal library.

Easy to use program that uses what measurements you in put in inches so no problem for use older chaps to understand.
I have the dimensions take off a Scotties Barbel Perfection on paper that I will get around to putting on Hexrod one day.
Shocking variation across flats measurement on the rod I repaired and then copied, as let say the measurements I kept and used are an average of the 3 across flats at any point on the rod.

I have the Chapmans 500 saved if any body wants it?

Also I have a PDF copy of rod building for amatures by the great man Richard Walker if anybody wants one sending. It has quite a list of tapers.
Guess it's well out of copyright and free for those who wants it?

Message me and I will send it as an attachment. paul@1johnson.karoo.co.uk
Copyright lasts until 70 years after the author's death so another 40 years or so for RW.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Return to “Rod Taper Archive”