Chapman Quinette MK8 carp rod

This forum is for recording rod taper specifications.
Bob Brookes
Zander

Chapman Quinette MK8 carp rod

Post by Bob Brookes »

I lifted this from a listing on ebay!

Chapman Rod Specifications.

The Quinette Mk 8. 10’ 2 piece Carp rod. 2 lbs. T.C. (5 strip Ledger Rod) 1955 - 1970

Blank specifications 5 strip

Butt section Top section

Half sizes Half sizes

0" .180 0" .060

60” .312 48” .103

60” .172

Cork Handle: 29" x 15/16" with two alloy sliding bands. 15/16" alloy butt cap with 1-1/4" red rubber button.

Ferrule: Brass suction ferrule 7/16"

Guide spacing: As sizes above.

Guide sizes:

Butt : Aqualite 25mm and full open bridge size 9.

Top: full open bridge sizes 6, 5, 4, 3, 3. Size 3 Aqualite tip.

Intermediate wrappings: Butt 2". Top 1½" --- 1¼

Wrappings: Green with copper wire wrappings on butt ring and female ferrule.

Catalogue description: A rod slightly more power than the 6-strip carp yet at the same time being extremely sensitive.

Catalogue comments by Peter Stone: “May I say how pleased I am with your “Quinette” Carp rod which has had a good testing this summer. What really impresses me is its immense power when playing large fish such as carp. Yet the diameter of its tip enables one to detect the finicky bites we often get from chub, barbel, and even dace”.

Peter Stone.
I thought it was worth listing on this site.
Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Chapman Quinette MK8 carp rod

Post by Nobby »

Good lift Bob, that was itself lifted from the new Chapman's site, but they've removed it now!

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

That's because I bought it :wink: my bid didn't reach it's reserve and I made a deal with the seller after it ended, There was a second, later rod there too Just listed as 'fishing rod' with a 'buy it now' of £350, not much of a description and no bids made on it by the end.

I have posted details and pictures on the Chapmans section under 'quintette mk8'. It needs a butt and two intermediate guides replacing and thd tip straightening but is in unrestored useable condition even with these faults so I plan to have a go for the carp and tench in my club lake and give it a light restoration over the winter

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Sorry Andy, I wasn't clear....the Quinette description has been removed from the Chapman web-site. Whether there was an error or it's just a glitch I don't know.

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

Sorry Nobby, i thought he meant the rod had been removed not the spec. I know it disappeared when the Chapmans site got the recent makeover, the description I posted was from the seller and he downloaded it in 2009 when he inherited the quintette, the picture link didn't work as the web site has changed. I sent an email or Chapmans but nothing back yet, Holliday season probably. The other thing I was asking them was about the 'SP' on the Hunter

BarbelBonce

Post by BarbelBonce »

The Q 8 spec. sheet was never on the old site and wasn't, as far as I've read, put on to the new site.
Others have copied and pasted the spec. that I have previously published here and elsewhere ; given to me by John.

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

Update on the Quinette mk8. The work has all been done including an upgrade to a 27mm agate lined butt guide as per my 550, the tip was rebuilt after straightening and turned through 144 degrees (2 sides) and is still straight as an arrow still after several good fish to mid doubles taken off the surface for the most part. The action is fantastic, more barbel rod than mk4 in it's curve, progressive and steely with it. I heard there were only around 50 made and am kicking myself for missing the one on eBay this week but funds were drained with another must have Chapmans rod I have been after for a long time.

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

Found a second Mk8 last year and now restored to match the first one, also a Mk7 that was with it that looked unused, a two piece Dennis Pye pike rod, and Mk4 carp which was sold on

Return to “Rod Taper Archive”