action descriptions

This forum is for recording rod taper specifications.
Haydn Clarke

Re: action descriptions

Post by Haydn Clarke »

MK IV Avon or Chapman 500. Both ten foot, both quite light in action.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Haydn Clarke wrote:MK IV Avon or Chapman 500. Both ten foot, both quite light in action.
Agree. Both these would suit your needs smallscale.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Smallscale wrote:Thanks gents.
I take it a chapman 500 avon is the same thing as a chapmans 500?
I've just ordered one from antique and vintage tackle.
If I may: they also have a millwards finmaster in 9ft, any idea as to action and suitability?
Thanks again and any other suggestions wil be welcome.
The Chapman 500 is an avon (ie general river) rod as opposed to the 550 which is a carp rod.
Did you get the 500 or 500 deluxe which has lined tip and butt rings?
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

Hi Smallscale, the Chapman 500 is a great lightweight Avon ideal and compact. The Kennet Perfection is lighter for lines up to 6lb and no more, one of my favourite rods for lighter use (so probably too light for your needs?)

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

Smallscale wrote:I dunno Tadpole, I do enjoy going light as we have some small species out here that are great fun on light tackle. As long as a possible 10lb fish, carefully played doesn't destroy it, it should be perfect.
Maybe I'll add a kennet to my quiver at some stage as well. What would the typical length of a kennet perfection be?
Thanks for the tip!
Without looking and getting a tape measure out (we have dinner guests in ten minutes!) the Kennet P is 11'?

I caught some small carp up to around 6 lb last year on it and to be honest it really struggled.

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

The kennet perfection I have is a nice rod but I prefer the Avon perfection with the whole cane butt. The 500 is a cracking rod at 10' and another thing about the deluxe, apart from the aqua lite tip and but is the copper whippings on the butt guide on the reel side and the middle ferule, some 500s were made with aqualites but not marked as deluxe. My 550, also a lovely rod but too heavy for what you need, is a deluxe and rebuilt as per thd spec on the chapmans site. Often thought of selling my onion mk4 cast and getting a second 550 deluxe as it has far more character for far less money :wink: Another rod worth looking at is a millwards craftversa, I have one on my 'to get list' :thumb:

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

greentura wrote: My 550, also a lovely rod but too heavy for what you need, is a deluxe and rebuilt as per thd spec on the chapmans site.
Now there's a thing - I'd always assumed that Chapmans never made a deluxe 550. Certainly all those I've seen have had unlined butt and tip rings. The spec on their website doesn't appear to mention a deluxe version:

http://www.chapmanblanks.co.uk/wordpress/?page_id=382

Am I looking in the wrong place? :think:

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

Davyr wrote:
greentura wrote: My 550, also a lovely rod but too heavy for what you need, is a deluxe and rebuilt as per thd spec on the chapmans site.
Now there's a thing - I'd always assumed that Chapmans never made a deluxe 550. Certainly all those I've seen have had unlined butt and tip rings. The spec on their website doesn't appear to mention a deluxe version:

http://www.chapmanblanks.co.uk/wordpress/?page_id=382

Am I looking in the wrong place? :think:
there are many things that the Chapmans site doesn't show now, and more that it never showed. The deluxe 550 had a 22mm aqualite butt guide similar to a Mk4 carp, and aqualite tip to match, some were with a thread to take a swing tip, like mine, and some were standard. There seems to have ben quite a lot of flexibility as to the materials used or maybe it was down to what was in the spares box at the time.

This from the Chapman's page on the 550 ( http://www.chapmanblanks.co.uk/wordpress/?page_id=382 )

"Wrappings – Green Early models may have twisted copper wire on lower leg of butt guide, also on male and female ferrule wrapping"

This was how mine should have been had it not been rewhipped in black on a few or the guides and middle ferule. It was only the 4th cane rod i got but well worth keeping and every bit as good as my Mk4 carp, although not quite up to the Mk8 'Quinette' carp, also from Chapmans.

Return to “Rod Taper Archive”