The Rivercraft: can it be restored?

The F. T. Williams Rods forum.
PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Re: The Rivercraft: can it be restored?

Post by PershoreHarrier »

BigFish wrote:Do'nt ask!!! Possibly the most stupid thing I've done in a long time. Only after it failed did I realise it would never have worked!!!
It is like realising that if you were forced to take part in Russian Roulette and there were two hand guns on the table - one a six shooter and the other an automatic you would pick up the automatic!!

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Sounds like you've done something similar! Perhaps we should start a thead called 'the most stupid thing you've done in fishing'!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

we all make mistakes Big Fish, one of mine was about 30 years ago when fishing for chub in the upper Welland downstream of Market Harborough, the river was in flood and I nearly didn't bother but I spotted a slack spot out of the current under a canopy of trees, I managed to get in position put on a large nob of moldy stilton and cast into the slack, as soon as the bait settled the tip pulled round and over the next half an hour 3 chub up to 4lb were caught, super ! the light was going and I had a 20 mile drive home, then I made my mistake..........I was feeling cold and instead of taking the rod down on the bank I thought I'd do it by the car, I bundled up the rod,net,bag headed for the car and caught the tip of the rod in the overhanging tree.......the tip broke in half ! my rod was a Chapman's 500 in pristine nick, I didn't appreciate what I had at the time and the butt section and broken tip were put in the garage and somehow got dumped.

The detachable butt fitted a hollow glass blank and it made a very sweet rod, my wife and I went to Ireland and the rod went with me along with a barbour coat, brady canvass bag, mitchell 300 and various plugs/spinners etc, first night off the ferry we stayed in Dublin before heading down south, got up in morning and our 205 GT1 nicked !!! recovered a week later with no plates/hot wired and had been used in a robbery ! needless to say all fishing kit gone.....so my Chapman's butt and its imposter glass blank may well have been flexed by a bank robber ! in the Emerald Isle.
Tight lines Dave

Return to “F. T. Williams Cane Rods”