FT Williams: Trick or Treat?

The F. T. Williams Rods forum.
Deaf Cat
Grayling

FT Williams: Trick or Treat?

Post by Deaf Cat »

FT Williams mystery rod

"FT Williams & Co Ltd London" on the butt fitting

Chunky 105” (8ft 9in) 3 piece spinning rod – but odd lengths: Butt 30in, Middle 43in, Tip 34in

12" grip, black button, lined rings throughout, bottle green whipping with 1 1/8 intermediates

Last edited by Deaf Cat on Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Re: FT Williams: Trick or Treat?

Post by Vole »

My first guess was a "marriage", but thinking about it, getting all the ferrules right would have been far too much trouble, so I reckon it probably started life as a 10'6" rod ( 43" -1" for the ferrule overlap =42"; 42" x 3 = 126" = 10'6") which accidentally lost 7" of its tip, becoming a pike rod, as was often the way, but a rather un-handy one, so a further foot was removed from the cork end of the butt joint, giving a single-handed spinning rod. If the F.T. Williams is only on the rubber-button holder, the rest of it could be anything, I'm afraid.
If it works as a user, and wasn't sold on the "name", it should catch you a few fish,either as a spinner or a stalking rod.

Any F.T.W. owners out there who can identify the ferrules or winding check??
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Return to “F. T. Williams Cane Rods”