Aquilla reel seat

The Lee & Sons Rods forum.
Bob Brookes
Zander

Aquilla reel seat

Post by Bob Brookes »

Last night I was GIVEN an Aquilla rod in its original bag by a friend. When he mentioned it to me I frankly wasn't expecting much, however I have now just looked at it and it is in very good condition.

It is perfectly straight, the eyes are good and the ferrules feel like it hasn't been put together too often. I am pretty sure that it has never been re-varnished. It seems that it only requires 2 whips redoing and some work to the handle.

The handle is my reason for this post. It has the original sliding bronzed alloy screw seat and, although that is in perfect nick, I dislike it. Someone has carved the cork so that a reel foot can be fitted. Would it therefore be a travesty if I were to remove it and replace it with the more usual alloy rings. Quite frankly I just don't like the look of these fittings and they can cause some damage to a reel foot when wound tight.

Opinions please :secret:
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Aquilla reel seat

Post by Nobby »

Congrats Bob...that's Lee's top of the range hollow-built all rounder. The reel seat you describe means it's a 1962 rod I think....they weren't making it by the time they joined with Allcocks in 1964 so it's one of the last made.

Can you slide the reel fitting off if you remove the rubber button OK?

Here's another:

viewtopic.php?f=196&t=3978&start=10

Bob Brookes
Zander

Re: Aquilla reel seat

Post by Bob Brookes »

Hi Nobby,
I have followed the one that Hadyn reconditioned, very nice it is too.

I erred with my description of the reel seat, of course it is not a screw down, but I still don't like it. It is very tight on the corks but I guess it will come off, even if a cork or two have to be replaced. That wont be a big deal as there will be 5 other corks replaced where they have been carved away. Bloody vandals!

Just an observation. I would be surprised if it has ever been re-varnished, however it has a matt finish. It is similar to the finish you get on Sharpe impregnated rods. I am not suggesting it is impregnated, but is it possible that it could have a varnished matt finish from new in 1962? It was certainly a fashion a few years later with the carpers!

It feels a bit more powerful than a match rod. What do you reckon, chub, tench and smaller barbel?

Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Return to “Lee & Sons Cane Rods”