Help!!!

The Lee & Sons Rods forum.
Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Re: Help!!!

Post by Tinca Tinca »

Hi AC,
many thanks for you efford.

I got many new informations about a fishing style I hadnot known before.
Think I try the Nottingham style on a small river next WE.

Thanks

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

That looks like the slip-cast (or whatever it's called) where the line-hand acts as a pulley, letting the line come off the side of the spool, as if it were a fixed-spool reel - good for a few casts, but , unless you've incorporated a swivel above the float, a bit of a kink-generator.

I'm not so sure the rod's that much of a tiddler-snatcher; that butt and lower middle don't look so much like Spanish Reed as one of the other canes, usually sold with the outer enamel scraped off - are those "power fibres" visible in the photo of the label, or just a digital artifact?
That long, spliced-in middle, split by the upper ferrule, was sometimes called "Thames action" in rod adverts of the day, if I recall aright; sometimes it was used to make reed-butted rods a bit less desperately tippy, but it was also used with stronger canes to give a sort of tip-to-middle action that would cope happily with chub and big (for the era) bream.
If my guess about the cane is correct, then it looks like a cousin to my "Rodrill", written-up here: viewtopic.php?f=308&t=7271&hilit=Rodrill - a rod that comes along when I feel "traddy" and carp are not too likely. The scraped-to-the-fibres effect (which I've never seen attempted with Spanish Reed) is clear on the close-up of the split butt-ring.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

Hello,
I donot think its a spanish reed blank because my Martin James 12 ft Spanish reed rod is less heavy in weight than that Lee rod.
the "power fibres" are really there and I think it is Tonkin or an other cane,too.

The backbone of this rod is much harder than the Martin james match rod.
I thought its a cheap Avon rod in crabbtree style (Cane butt,Cane middle and split cane top)
If nobody has a catalogue of the 50s we will never exactly find out....

thanks

Return to “Lee & Sons Cane Rods”