Edward Barder Rods

The Edward Barder Rods forum.
Snape
Bailiff

Re: Edward Barder Rods

Post by Snape »

Beresford wrote:Snape

You seem to have an enviable clutch of Barder creations. Do you know why he dropped the Carp Crawler from his range?
Thanks. I've only bought 1 from new - the Merlin, but in the late 90s when it cost less than half what it is now. The other three I picked up second hand (The Barbus Maximus is the no 2 which was the first one sold as no. 1 went to CY but there was a mix up and the traditional fishing shop agreed to sell it for a lot less than the owner intended but once he realised he stood by it and agreed to let me have it for a drastically reduced price). If a Bishop comes up for sale I shouldn't buy it but I might have to! :hide: I also have one of his Venables 'Crabtree' nets which is lovely too.
I don't know why he dropped the Carp Crawler. I am seeing him in the next few weeks and I'll ask him.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Thanks – would be nice to know. I was similarly lucky when I bought my pins, second hand but mint unused in the mid 1990's via an ad in the Angling Times and before ebay had really got into its stride. I so dearly wish I'd bought a Barder when I first came across them, a Bishop was £290 and my income has actually dropped. Ah well. I actually said to my father today I'd have been better off buying all this 'stuff' as an investment as it's appreciated in value more than my pensions.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Over many years I`ve been very fortunate, to have collected a few of Edwards exquisite creations, in no particular order, though I do think the Merlin is my favourite. They are as follows, the Bishop, Barbus (MkI and II) Merlin, Perfection, Walker Avon, Wallis and a split cane Avocet rebuild by Edward. Also two landing nets and handles. All are used and will be going towards my pension fund!

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Merlot wrote:Over many years I`ve been very fortunate, to have collected a few of Edwards exquisite creations, in no particular order, though I do think the Merlin is my favourite. They are as follows, the Bishop, Barbus (MkI and II) Merlin, Perfection, Walker Avon, Wallis and a split cane Avocet rebuild by Edward. Also two landing nets and handles. All are used and will be going towards my pension fund!
I have never seen the MKII Barbus and would be interested to hear how it differs from the MKI and is it basically a beefed up Merlin?
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I would love to see the Barder Kennet Perfection and the Wallis which Edward didn't make for that long. How do they compare with the CY rods. Is the Kennet Perfection similar to the Merlin?
I thought I should have bought them back in the 90s as he stopped making them and I guess they'll be a better investment than the CY series.

Rusty Spigot

Post by Rusty Spigot »

Snape wrote:
Macko wrote:I had a Merlin which i bought 2nd hand but i failed to notice it had a set about 9 inches from the tip ring. I took it to Edward who worked his flame on it, but after a couple of outings
it had returned, so it had to go. The previous owner probably over stressed it.

I must say it was the best cane rod i've ever held, the balance and action of the rod is superb and worth every penny.

If i could get a new one tomorrow from Edward i'd buy it without hesitation, but at my age i'm not prepared to order one and wait probably 2 yrs.
I stressed the tip of my Merlin on one of its first outings when I hooked a double figure carp in the margins when tench fishing and it thrashed at the net. Edward worked his flame magic and thankfully several years later it is still straight.
Of course there is a school of thought that a cane rod isn't really christened until it has a bit of a set!
Yes it is sublime. To the extent that I rarely use anything else....
I also have a merlin and it is without a doubt the best rod I own and use, primarily for for Chub fishing but tench would also be great. It will also deal with the occassional river carp with no trouble. Totally amazing and worth every penny my wife paid for it.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Edward Barder Cane Rods”