Edward Barder Kennet Perfection

The Edward Barder Rods forum.
Avocet

Edward Barder Kennet Perfection

Post by Avocet »

I know this rod has been mentioned in a previous post but does anyone own or have any accurate knowledge of this rod.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Edward Barder Kennet Perfection

Post by AshbyCut »

I will when those 6 numbers come up !!!!!
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

I think Snape and merlot have a dozen or more between them
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I will now make you cry and tell you that in 1998 I was offered a mint unfished example built by Barder for £280. I didn't buy it as I had no use for it. A mistake perhaps!
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Star-quality original use of "Perhaps", there!
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Avocet

Post by Avocet »

£280 !!!
Whoops.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Beresford wrote:I will now make you cry and tell you that in 1998 I was offered a mint unfished example built by Barder for £280. I didn't buy it as I had no use for it. A mistake perhaps!
You weren't working at the time for the record company that turned down The Beatles, were you ?
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

£280 was a lot of money to me, I had no use for the rod (and still don't) and how were we to know that Barder's prices would rocket as they did. Instead I bought two other items of tackle that time has proved to be a much better investment. It's possible I've got the year wrong, at the time I was offered the rod the price from Barder for a new example was £290.

:D

Second hand Barders typically fetch between £600 – £1,000 so I'd have doubled or tripled my money. What I bought instead have seen about a six to eight fold increase in value against the prices I paid for mint second hand items, probably even more. I'm pretty certain 90 percent of those here would have made the same decision as I did at the time. Of course I could have borrowed and bought the lot but 'hindsight…etc'
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Avocet

Post by Avocet »

I agree £280 was a lot of money then and i would have spent it on something else as well.
Does anyone know anything about this particular rod as i may have a chance of getting one a bit cheaper than the going rate.
All the best

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Here is a scan from his catalogue from 1996.
Also I would recommend you contact him about the rod as he will know more about it and its history.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Return to “Edward Barder Cane Rods”