have you seen this

The Edward Barder Rods forum.
Kevin
Chub

Re: have you seen this

Post by Kevin »

Ok just your opinion then, I can for see a future where he will still be held in high regard.
And I hope we all realise our dreams.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Bumble wrote:someone could build a rod with the same quality as Barder and Andrew Davis for less than half the price. If you believe that you will believe anything
But Andrew's rods are half the price of Edward's and I can think of another builder whose work is in the same league for half the price. I'd suggest that the perception of quality is very subjective depending on expectation and what you value just as it is with cars, classic or otherwise.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Jardine
Perch

Post by Jardine »

Tweed wrote:So,
I can't recall many references to Walker in November's Carpology and I can't see any great reason generally for increased coverage in the press.

Secondly I'd like to point out that his trout fishing was most latterly for stocked rainbows in artificial lakes. While neither praising nor condemning this type of fishing, it is rather at odds with todays clamour to catch "wild trout".

The Arlsey Bomb was certainly well publicised at the time, but, it is hard to imagine that it would have remained un-invented. I'm not certain nobody else ever set a swivel into a streamlined casting lead? Anyway these weights are now referred to just as "Bombs" - I think the Arlsey bit is long gone.

I can't recall his legendary Hiz roach catches, so am unsure how long they will be remembered.

While not having any axe to grind on this, I'm merely pointing out a possibility regarding future interest. In conclusion I would ask how widely nowadays Leonard West, Courtnay Williams or Rev. Powell are known?
Hi Tweed,
I just had a look at the online edition of Carpology Magazine, it is about modern carp catching and has nothing to do with traditional angling.
Why would Dick Walker get a mention there?

Macko
Grayling

Post by Macko »

It doesn't take long for just a heads up, that a rod of this quality is available, and in effect
getting two rods for the price of one, expensive I know, to go off topic.
There are probably a few members of the forum who could afford it and as I say, it was
just a heads up to those members that a very useful and rare rod was on the market.

ATB Macko

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Gentlemen, this thread concerns a rather fine rod Mr Barder currently has for sale, lets not drift off topic, lets have a show of hands..... given the money would you buy this rod?
I would, partly for the "look what I've got" factor , lets ignore investment potential etc after all it's only 1800 quid which in the great scheme of things is bugger all but let's consider the fact that Edward is considered the finest rod maker alive and for those that can afford the best then this is a must have .....does that make sense?? :Hat:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Paul D wrote:lets have a show of hands..... given the money would you buy this rod?
I would if it had a Precision Rods badge on it !!! :Wink:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

No I wouldn't buy it but I would buy something he's got on his site.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Macko
Grayling

Post by Macko »

And what would that be Beresford.
Paul D, I wouldn't buy it for the, look what I've got factor, only if fit for purpose factor.
Having bought 2 Barder rods in recent times, unless I have a windfall, it's something
I would love to afford, but I'll have to pass on. Unless I have a sell up of some of my
other tackle, then I could afford it. Now that's a thought. :eyebrow:

Das-Bolt
Gudgeon

Post by Das-Bolt »

Gentleman. The original post was well meaning and I'm sure made in good faith and I'll hold my hands up and say I made a flippant comment, but it has gone off on a tangent. I like many others use the forum for research if I'm contemplating a purchase or would like to know more about a rod I already own. All this other stuff is a bit superfluous in mho. And yes I would buy it! :surrender:

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Paul D wrote:lets ignore investment potential etc after all it's only 1800 quid which in the great scheme of things is bugger all
Sorry Paul but to the average person how on erf can £1.800 be bugger all when buying a rod,

I don't know anyone in there right mind who'd pay that kind of money for a rod, yes I'm not saying it's a nice rod but seriously :shocked: I certainly wouldn't buy a rod just because it looked nice, a rod is a tool and needs to be used as a tool for a specific application,
Can't honestly see how this kind of money can be justified when I know for fact that there are other rods out there that are equally just as good and not just for looks but more importantly performance and if anything there are other rods that I'm sure are better for a fraction of the price,

I seriously think that some have got far to much money than sence :tea:

I'd wanna whole set up for that IE rod, reel, net, all tackle and bag :Hahaha:

Return to “Edward Barder Cane Rods”