Edward Barder interview on M&M

The Edward Barder Rods forum.
Beresford
Sea Trout

Re: Edward Barder interview on M&M

Post by Beresford »

I don't imagine for one minute that EB is making himself wealthy building rods as I imagine his overheads are significant. It does suggest that if he were to charge any less he might not be building rods at all.

Was he taking the reels apart and fettling them in the way that Nobby does with the reels sent to him to rejuvenate?
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I'm surprised he had to do anything to them at all, the makers are more normally involved in aero-engineering to the highest standard there is and they have much experience of centrepin reels too. I wonder just what it was he felt he had to do to them.......?
The gentleman with whom EB did the deal is retired now anyway, though his son still runs the company.

33 is indeed a very limited run, so there's an exclusivity thing going on I suppose? I did get to play with one once and I have to say that it was far superior to the normal high quality output of the makers...very special indeed.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Beresford wrote:Was he taking the reels apart and fettling them in the way that Nobby does with the reels sent to him to rejuvenate?
I think they came to him in pieces and he then did all the assembly and final tweaks.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Plumtart
Ruffe

Post by Plumtart »

My first post, although I have watched the site for some years - at times sighing, and at other times giggling.

Edward is very clever, and absolutely right in the policy he adopts towards comments, pro and anti - NEVER COMPLAIN, NEVER EXPLAIN.

Needy people require demigods, and if not to worship, then to criticise. Wise demigods NEVER COMPLAIN, NEVER EXPLAIN.

Significantly, all Edward's reels are sold, and so are, and always will be, all the rods he ever made. That is VERY good for fishing, and at modest financial level, also for Edward. Setting aside the Marmite factors, he is a credit to modern angling.

Plum

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Personally I'd rather have a Paul Cook rod any day....but then he is a mate, so maybe I'm a teeny bit biased.....
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Macko
Grayling

Post by Macko »

Nobby, if you can knock me up a couple of Barder reels to exactly the same spec at about £250 apiece
I'll have them :Hahaha: :Ok:

ATB Macko

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Snape wrote:
Beresford wrote:Was he taking the reels apart and fettling them in the way that Nobby does with the reels sent to him to rejuvenate?
I think they came to him in pieces and he then did all the assembly and final tweaks.
And that took over a day?.... Sorry but I really don't think so :Hat:

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Much as I admire EB's rods reels and landing nets I could neither afford, nor justify the expense of them.... they are high end items, and I suspect aimed at those with enough disposable income to afford them... that said, I still covet his rods... one can recognise class when one sees it.... but in the great scheme of things is his work really that much better than the other top class builders, some of whom are members on this site...?
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

That was an very interesting read Beresford, thanks for sharing it. Although I doubt I could afford to own let alone use one of his rods without fear of damaging my investment, I can appreciate the skills and commitment that has gone into these works of art from the fingers of a true craftsman.

Return to “Edward Barder Cane Rods”