Chris Yates Merlin

The Edward Barder Rods forum.
Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Re: Chris Yates Merlin

Post by Bumble »

Beresford I have, as far as I know, the only whole cane butt Merlin ever built, No 13 of the original batch like RoachTench is talking about and another previously owned by a well known author.
Bumble

Roachtench
Ruffe

Post by Roachtench »

Is that a two piece Bumble or a three piece Merlin built before its time ? Picking up on Plumtart's post about species for the rod - I have had chub to over six pounds on my finetipped model and the same rod on first outing to Upper Ouse some years ago was used for an afternoon''s barbel fishing and easily tamed a first ever beard at 9.04. Like Plumtart I wouldn't recommend it for regular barbel fishing though.

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Three piece RoachTench I've had a 9-2 on my fine tipped one wouldn't recommend it though the later ones were a different taper I think much stronger.
Bumble

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

So are all EB's rods heavy because they are carrying a couple of ounces of varnish? For example, would a Barder MkIV weigh more than one from Paul Cook or Andrew Davis?
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Rusty
Ruffe

Post by Rusty »

Roachtench wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:49 am Hi Rusty
I have been fortunate (or unfortunate if you don't have a strong arm) to weigh many Merlins over the past 16 years. To my mind they average 13.5 ounces. But there is a slight variance. My own ‘standard’ Merlin was designed with a faster than normal tip to strike shy biting dace and come sin at exactly 13 ounces.
I do own one of the first batch ( as delivered to Chris Yates while he was fishing somewhere down south) and its a beautiful dark flamed semi hollow built rod that was originally made for reel and film maker Paul Witcher. It is inscribed ‘The 11 ounce Merlin’. But is closer to 11.5 ounces. perhaps the butt cap was changed for a larger button,
I set Edward and Colin the task a number of years ago of building me the lightest ever Merlin on the basis that many of us - Barder Rod Co customers – are getting older. It was part hollow built in the butt section, with ultra lightweight rings, lightweight aluminium reel bands and lightweight ferrules.. and a bespoke tiny ali butt cap. The deal was it had to come in under 11 ounces if the master craftsman was to be paid. I paid for the rod.
I can remember talking to Edward about that, I don't think he'd relish the thought of building another particularly if the selling price was at stake. Over two years on and the Merlin has provided me with many memorable angling moments including a PB crucian and a circa 15lb common carp taken on floating crust;

I have tried it as a trotting rod a few times since my first outing and In my mind it simply isn't suited to that, I probably had unrealistic expectations when I confirmed the order but that doesn't matter. I caught the common from a small lake which wasn't supposed to contain large carp, I'd had a couple of 5lb'ers when this fish appeared and slurped down bread that I'd dropped in the margins. Quite disconcerting to feel the entire rod handle flexing but I took my time and the Merlin just soaked it all up, I wouldn't be without it now and if I had my time again I'd still buy one.

Thank you to other posters for the weights of their rods.

Sevilla315
Gudgeon

Post by Sevilla315 »

Hamburger wrote: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:32 pm I have a theory:
It's not the weight that counts. If the balance of the rod is right, you can hold it all day easily. It sounds paradox, but If it feels heavy try with a heavier reel or move the reel an inch further down the handle. Sometimes that makes all the difference. A well balanced rod won't put all the weight only on your forefinger.
I have looked at Barders for many years, it may have been my first bamboo flyrod except he never returned my email!
I have been looking at his site a bit lately and this model, especially since I've recently taken a big interest in coarse.
It's a heavy rod, but as everyone says, it's all relative.
I now fish almost exclusively with bamboo, having started on the high tech route.
I normally go on a few trips a year salmon or steelhead fishing bamboo speys which weigh about 12oz to which is attached a reel of some 14-16oz to balance it. As I fish for up to 12 hours a day for 3 days, a balanced outfit is extremely important as you are casting hundreds of casts a day but more importantly, fishing them out on the swing. Holding the rod at the top of the cork needs to be done without fighting the rod or you'd be exhausted in no time and wouldn't last a day let alone 3.

Hyrsch
Minnow

Post by Hyrsch »

Snape wrote: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:20 pm …and do something else: put on the kelly kettle, watch the birds or the clouds or the water, lay back in the grass and have a snooze, climb a tree, go for an explore etc etc.....
That’s the spirit!! 😑
Exactly what I did today. My Monarch rod arrived. So I took it to the lake, made a few casts and then enjoyed the dusk, goose spiralling above the lake heading south and the sky was shimmering in all colours of the rainbow whilst a waxing moon was peeking out behind a lonely wispy cloud.
To fish is to live, it’s as simple as that!

Return to “Edward Barder Cane Rods”