Brand new Barder MKIV anyone?

The Edward Barder Rods forum.
Northern Eel
Chub

Brand new Barder MKIV anyone?

Post by Northern Eel »

Spotted this nice looking rod earlier, this will save time waiting for one to be built

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1460555564

Considering its brand new, I guess anything under £1000 would be a good deal.
As these sell new for £1700 & there's a wait time.

(I have no connection with the seller)
"Chasing frothy bubbles while the world is full of troubles"

"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford

Beresford
Sea Trout

Re: Brand new Barder MKIV anyone?

Post by Beresford »

It's gone…

:holmes:
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

Wow !
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Northern Eel
Chub

Post by Northern Eel »

Within half an hour of me posting it, it was sold at £1400 BIN

I wonder if a forum member bought it

at starting bids of £900 it was worth a risk throwing a few bids at it but at £1400 it's not bad, I just think it could have been got a lot cheaper.

"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

Northern Eel
Chub

Post by Northern Eel »

Looking at this rod & comparing it with my AJ Davis MKIV, I would say my rod is equal to this rod if not slightly better in all respects, no disrespect to Mr Barder, his rods are nice but these are more than double the price I paid.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Northern Eel wrote:at starting bids of £900 it was worth a risk throwing a few bids at it but at £1400 it's not bad, I just think it could have been got a lot cheaper.
Not if you really want it and you're going away on holiday before the auction ends..... :Hide:
Northern Eel wrote:Looking at this rod & comparing it with my AJ Davis MKIV, I would say my rod is equal to this rod if not slightly better in all respects, no disrespect to Mr Barder, his rods are nice but these are more than double the price I paid.
Edward has a list of buyers who will not visit Ebay and pay more than the list price (£1700) to get an 'as new' rod which has had Edward's 'once over' and authentication.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Northern Eel
Chub

Post by Northern Eel »

Hahaha, true

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Northern Eel wrote:Looking at this rod & comparing it with my AJ Davis MKIV, I would say my rod is equal to this rod if not slightly better in all respects, no disrespect to Mr Barder, his rods are nice but these are more than double the price I paid.
Equally, no disrespect to you or you view, but may I enquire why you feel your Davis built rod is better? Surely the reel quality of each rod is only apparent when fishing and how they stand up to many years fishing.
Last edited by Beresford on Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Beresford wrote:
Equally, no disrespect to you or you view, but may I enquire why you feel your Davis built rod is better? Surely the reel quality of each rod is only apparent when fishing.
True Beresford but my Davis Allrounder (Avon perfection and roach perfection in one) would give a Barder rod a run for its money. Andrew's are up there in quality. I showed it to Edward a few weeks back and he was highly complimentary of Andrew's work.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Northern Eel
Chub

Post by Northern Eel »

Beresford wrote:
Equally, no disrespect to you or you view, but may I enquire why you feel your Davis built rod is better? Surely the reel quality of each rod is only apparent when fishing.
True, but both rods are built to the original walker tapers, the fittings, handle, whippings are pretty much identical.
Unless Mr Barder is using some sort of enchanted bamboo then I can't work out what the difference would be , paying an extra £1000 for something as unquantifiable as "feel" seems extreme but I suppose it's the name that people like to pay for.
Each to their own I suppose.
:Cool:
Regardless it's a very nice rod even at £1400.

Return to “Edward Barder Cane Rods”