Floatcaster v Floatcaster Deluxe

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Floatcaster v Floatcaster Deluxe

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Having recently acquired a Floatcaster deluxe, I wondered how it compared to the standard Floatcaster. Can any one enlighten me please?
I can only assume it's down to ring specification as my Deluxe doesn't have fancy ferrules or a sliding reel seat or anything else which might elevate it beyond the norm!
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Floatcaster v Floatcaster Deluxe

Post by Nobby »

I think the rare standard floatcaster was a very different rod......possibly whole cane butt and middle sections. Jack?

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Floatcaster delux much better balance , 11ft , not as heavy from memory

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I have a 12' FC DeLuxe and that is a totally different animal... quite tip heavy and very powerful... more suited to Barbel Big Tench and Chub... bit of a beast really
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Only just seen this as the thread was created while I was largely away from the online world for a while earlier in the year.

Yes, as Nobby said the Floatcaster is a very different rod from the deluxe models.

Floatcasters had butt and middle sections of whole cane and only a tip in built cane. Floatcaster deluxe rods had only a butt of whole cane and the middle and tip sections were built cane.

As far as I can see they both came in 11 ft and 12 ft versions. The deluxe rods, due to their construction with more built cane, were much more capable of handling larger fish. The floatcasters are small fish only rods, really. There is also quite a difference in the deluxe rods too! The 11ft deluxe rod is my favourite of the bunch. A lovely float rod capable of good size tench. The 12 ft deluxe is heavier in the hand and capable of bigger fish than its 11 ft deluxe brother.

There are some really quite rare versions that are made of three sections of built cane. I know there is an 11ft version. I assume there is a 12ft version too, but I have never seen one! Anybody got one?

In addition to these models made entirely of cane there are another two models. These have built cane butt sections and hollow glass middle and tip sections. I have the 11 ft version in this configuration and it is a joy. These were built later, and feature the two fishes logo which, if my memory is correct, came about in about 1963. The others carry the famous octopus badge and branding from before 1963.

Below is a thread in which I speak more about them and highlight the ones I need to complete my collection of them. I do have rather a soft soft for them. The 12 ft deluxe was the first cane rod I ever used!

http://www.traditionalfisherman.com/vie ... 93&t=26810
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I have a 12' Floatcaster DeLuxe... it is a beast feels a tad tip heavy with ceramic butt and tip eyes... I can PM you some pics if you wish...?

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Harry wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:20 pm I have a 12' Floatcaster DeLuxe... it is a beast feels a tad tip heavy with ceramic butt and tip eyes... I can PM you some pics if you wish...?
Thanks for the reply, Harry. Is this the 12 ft whole cane, split cane, split cane version or version with just split cane sections? Cheers :cheers:, MD.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Hi MD... its a whole cane butt and split cane middle and tip sections... I'll do some pics tomorrow and post them up for you

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

ImageImageImageImage

Hope these help MD... :Hat:

MaggotDrowner
Zander