Help with a year of manufacture

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
Buller
Rudd

Help with a year of manufacture

Post by Buller »

Can anyone please advise the approximate year of manufacture of the 11 foot, 3-piece Sealy Octafloat rod?
Many thanks in advance!
Buller

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Help with a year of manufacture

Post by AshbyCut »

Buller wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:05 pm Can anyone please advise the approximate year of manufacture of the 11 foot, 3-piece Sealy Octafloat rod?
Many thanks in advance!
Buller
The Edgar Sealey 'Octofloat' is not mentioned in the 1958 company leaflet detailing their rods, but is listed as the 'Octofloat De Luxe" in the "Edgar Sealey Fishing Equipment 1964 Price List" ... 11ft., 3 piece, built cane, 140/- (£7). It's one of 5 bottom rods left in built cane, the other 14 bottom rods listed being hollow glass.

It's still listed in the "Sealey Fishing Manual 1967," but is now one of only 3 built cane rods.

By the "Sealey Fishing Manual 1968" it's still there, but is now the only built cane rod in their bottom angling range.

It still hangs on into the last Edgar Sealey catalogue I have ... the "Sealey Fishing Catalogue 1969" ... still as the only built cane bottom rod.

I'd therefore it's a 'rod of the 1960's,' introduced about 1960 and holding it's own against the change to hollow glass until the end of the decade (as far as I can tell). Hope this helps, Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Buller
Rudd

Re: Help with a year of manufacture

Post by Buller »

Thank you very much for that information AshbyCut. I've just looked again and the rod decal is indeed Octafloat Deluxe. Thanks again! I'll post about this rod soon
Bull

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”