Sealey Match with reel seat.

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
Galician
Ruffe

Sealey Match with reel seat.

Post by Galician »

Hi
I recently purchased a small parcel of Rods and included was a Sealey Match. I was surprised to see that a reel seat had been added and secondly, the position of the reel seat. I have never seen this on a Sealey Match before and has made me doubt its authenticity although it has the Sealey logo. I wonder if any of our members have come across this or could offer any advice as to my plan to refurb the Rod? I have attached a photo of the butt joint for your consideration.

Galician (David)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chavender
Eel

Re: Sealey Match with reel seat.

Post by Chavender »

well ,it'll depend on how the seat is fixed on ,if its onto cork then its relative easily removed (sometimes they can be twisted loose ,but check for pins ,as it might of been pinned into place and these will need tapping in or drilling out first),and you'd be faced with replacing half the handle ,stripping off the real seat and lower corks and the buttcap ,carfully as it'll be going back on then replace with new cork rings or sleaving and adding sliding reel bands ,clean the fore grip (upper section of handle) too match new cork and refit the but cap&button.
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Looking at the picture, the corks below the fitting look to be non-original. Unless it's a trick of the camera they appear to be a larger diameter and rougher than the ones above the fitting.

As Steve says you're looking at replacing half the handle and I'd question whether this is worth it on a Match as they can be picked up quite cheaply.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Galician
Ruffe

Post by Galician »

Thank you both for your advice. I picked it up for next to nothing, but will leave it as it is. I have already striped it and reset the ferrules and just about to complete the whipping. I'll then sell it on. I just like to repair/refurbish cane rods that are in a bad way and then sell/give to someone who will use them. I just hate to see them badly treated, they are after all a major part of anglings history and required considerable skill to make. I'll get off my soapbox now.
Galician (Dave)

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”