Sealey Mystery

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
Stour Otter
Grayling

Sealey Mystery

Post by Stour Otter »

I'm confused. During Sunday's Vintage Tackle Fayre at Romsey I came across a lovely restoration project for the winter months when the rain is pelting down and the Dorset Stour unfishable. To be frank at an asking price of just £20 it was really a no brainer, although it needs a lot of work. Accompanied with its original twill bag and black label with green writing, saying "Edgar Sealey and Sons", "Octopus" Brockhill Works REDDITCH England. I wrongly presumed it was a 3-piece Octofloat.
On opening the rod bag I discovered a two section rod of 4' length each plus a detachable cork handle of just of two feet. Giving the overall length of the rod when assembled of just over ten feet in length. In all appearance is resembles a Chapman 500 but slightly heavier built.
I have attached a very bad photograph of the rod label inscribed. . .

Made by
Sealey
England

(and in red lettering below this)

M (?K or Y?) OCAST

After this is the usual green Octopus label. The rod is whipped in red silk with intermediates along the whole length also in red. Any clues to name of this rod would be very much appreciated.

Stour Otter
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Re: Sealey Mystery

Post by Ljm183 »

The only Edgar Sealey rod of that configuration i can think of is the later two fishes badged "Strikerite"

Do you have anymore photos of the complete rod ?

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

Hello Ljm183.

Have posted a few better photographs and also had another look at the red lettering under UV light resin torch. What I thought could be a K or Y may well be (M) but still does not make any sense with the next lettering being . . . OCAST.

The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.

JAA

Post by JAA »

If I'd seen that for £20 I've had bought it, that's a nice looking rod whatever it is.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Stour Otter wrote:What I thought could be a K or Y may well be (M) but still does not make any sense with the next lettering being . . . OCAST.
I think that this thread may solve your problem SO, Sir :-

viewtopic.php?t=6872
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

JAA wrote:If I'd seen that for £20 I've had bought it, that's a nice looking rod whatever it is.
Same here, now I wish I'd made the journey to Romsey.... just in case I had found it first :mrgreen:

Lovely looking rod that Stour Otter, and a worthwhile restoration project :Hat:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Stour Otter, Sir ... I think that I'd go along with the suggestion of Nobby on the link I posted earlier, that your 'Minocast' is a 'minnow caster' salmon spinning rod ... from before 1957, though how long before I can't say, as a leaflet I have on the ESS Octopus rods for 1958 doesn't mention it.

I can find no mention of it other than the one shown in the thread ... and even the link to the auction site rod is no longer available.

I'd suggest that yours is a (over-used words, I know) 'very rare' rod these days, and well worth a full restoration.

Just my opinion, of course.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

A fine looking piece of cane, well worth £20. As you say a lovely winter project, well done indeed Sir :Hat:

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

Once again I am indebted to you gentlemen. Thank you all for taking the time and effort to identify this rod. I was a little surprised to find it at the Fayre considering I had arrived a little late on this visit and most of the real bargains are snapped up very quickly. The Romsey Vintage Tackle Fayre is held twice yearly and being on a smaller scale than Redditch has a mush more personal atmosphere. Talking to Steve Drapper the organiser the tables for sellers are only £30 a pop and he informed me that he is always looking for more exhibitors/sellers as he said, "We are all getting older and it must continue". This year the Romsey Auctions had taken place the day before, so many of the visitors had killed two birds with one stone and stayed over for the Tackle Fayre as well. In the canteen I had a lovely chat with two fellow collectors who had travelled all the way from Abergwyngregyn!

http://www.thelastcast.co.uk/
http://angling-auctions.co.uk/

Thank you all again.

Stour Otter

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

With minimal restoration completed on this lovely rod I am looking forward to putting it through its paces on Throop Fisheries at the weekend, touch ledgering for chub while drowning cheese paste. I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of our wonderful TFF members who helped identify this one.

Kind regards
Stour Otter

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”