Sealey Match rods - advice needed

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
JohnClyde
Perch

Sealey Match rods - advice needed

Post by JohnClyde »

After a few years of half-arsedly waiting for an 11' Floatcaster Deluxe to crop up, I'm now thinking of getting an 11' Sealey Match rod. The plan is to have something lighter than my Superwizard to trot with for grayling. These are trout and grayling rivers with little risk of a surly chub or confused barbel.

My question. Is the Match rod light enough to hold all day? How do they stack up against well regarded match rods by Allcocks, Aspindales, Precision, etc. Are owners able to forgive and forget the green anodised reel seats? I assume so, but my only other Sealey is a 12' floatcaster, a monstrosity of a rod (which I love) - the head of a roach rod, the middle heavy as a policeman's truncheon and the butt section made for a 7'4" male. I have been known to happily trot with it but behind that smile were the grinding of teeth, the counting of minutes and a prolonged back spasm.

Thanks in advance

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Sealey Match rods - advice needed

Post by AshbyCut »

PM on it's way, Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

At least some of Sealey's Match Rods seems to have been made partly with Spanish reed like the Supreme also was. That stuff is stiff and light, but any cane rod over 11 feet always feels heavy to me.

This one is definitely reed:

http://s259.photobucket.com/user/nobby4 ... ort=4&o=26

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I have a Sealey 13' match (whole cane butt and middle with split cane tip section) and it weighs a ton.. but then I'm not the strongest bloke about... it's fine for sitting on a rest and for the odd short session trotting, but more than a couple of hours and your arm's fit to drop off.... :surrender:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

JohnClyde
Perch

Post by JohnClyde »

Thanks Bluelabel. I used to own a 14' Alcock's Gloria and despite being made of Spanish reed it nearly pulled me over. There was some perverse charm in trying to fish with such a heavy rod. Makes you wonder at the steeliness of anglers of yore.

Sounds like 11' is the limit for a trotting rod then. Luckily Ashby Cut has very kindly stepped in to help me end my search.

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”