Edgar Sealey The"Roach" rod

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Edgar Sealey The"Roach" rod

Post by Wallys-Cast »

John, you can sometimes push them out with the old hydraulics trick used for removing spigot bushes in crankshafts.

Make a wooden dowel which is a good fit inside the male ferrule but not too tight, then half fill the ferrule with grease, push the dowel inside and with the butt against the floor tap the dowel in with a hammer or you can simply push the dowel against the wall or turn the section upside down and push the dowel against the floor. The grease tries to escape under pressure and forces the male part of the ferrule out. If it doesn't work first time, clean it out, heat it up and once cool enough try again.

Wal.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Well done Wal, knew there must be a sensible way. :Thumb:

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Thanks Wal
The concept seems strange to me and possibly beyond me .
I was thinking of re glueing the tip section back in place and possibly with a pin and trying to pul it out .
John

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Keston wrote:Thanks Wal
I was thinking of re glueing the tip section back in place and possibly with a pin and trying to pul it out .
John
That would work John but be careful no glue goes inside the female ferrule or it could permanently stick it all together. You could try it with hot melt glue first then it will easily come off again by warming up once separated, you can then clean it up and re-glue it with epoxy adhesive.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Wal.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

The porcelain tip rings are VERY delicate be careful with them.. my 12' Floatcaster Deluxe has them on butt and tip and I somehow managed to break my tip ring.... repaired and replaced by Tengisgol, but it only gets occasional outings now as I'm terrified of breaking another
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Bluelabel wrote:The porcelain tip rings are VERY delicate be careful with them.. my 12' Floatcaster Deluxe has them on butt and tip and I somehow managed to break my tip ring.... repaired and replaced by Tengisgol, but it only gets occasional outings now as I'm terrified of breaking another
Thanks for the word of warning.
I have decided to upgrade the rings now so my white porcelain will go in my parts/spares bin.
Funny how such fragile rings were used in the first place .
John

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Wallys-Cast wrote:
Keston wrote:Thanks Wal
John
That would work John but be careful no glue goes inside the female ferrule or it could permanently stick it all together. You could try it with hot melt glue first then it will easily come off again by warming up once separated, you can then clean it up and re-glue it with epoxy adhesive.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Wal.
Thanks for the advice Wal.
The cane blank that fits in the male ferrule has glue on it and what looks like bindings to pack it out . Do you think this best removed or left ?
John

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

John, I personally feel it is always better to remove old binding thread and renew it when resetting a ferrule.

Just had another thought and if I were you and I was going to try gluing the tip into the ferrule to separate it, I would make a temporary tip section from something like hardwood or a short length of salvageable cane. That way you wont do the proper tip section any damage while trying to separate the ferrule.

Wal.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Wallys-Cast wrote:John, I personally feel it is always better to remove old binding thread and renew it when resetting a ferrule.

Just had another thought and if I were you and I was going to try gluing the tip into the ferrule to separate it, I would make a temporary tip section from something like hardwood or a short length of salvageable cane. That way you wont do the proper tip section any damage while trying to separate the ferrule.

Wal.
Wise words Wal.
I appreciate all the help and advice and will give that a go.
John

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

I have managed to free the detached male ferrule from the female. As Wal suggested a hot glued section of dowel worked a treat.
Having never fitted / re glued on a ferrule before I'm hoping for advice on what glue to use .
I have searched the forum but was overwhelmed by the number of posts.
John

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”