Edgar Sealey The"Roach" rod

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
RBTraditional
Catfish

Re: Edgar Sealey The"Roach" rod

Post by RBTraditional »

ReelMaker wrote:Dear sir, you could get in touch with Paul Duffield ,he does good restoration at sensible prices and very helpful with information.Reelmaker.
......and the same can be said of Wal and from experience the quality of his work is something to behold.
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Or Steve Boncey! It may depend upon who is nearest!

Who has revitalised my B James Avon - I pick up possibly next week - plus some others!

Plus a multitude of other restorers on here! :surrender:

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Dear friends, I just hope that I have not upset anybody,I know that the people that do a very good restoration are on this forum and I just didn't think when I mentioned one person that had helped me out ,so I am very sorry.Wal has done me some good favours and I would highly recommend his work and experience.I apologise for my mistake .Reelmaker

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

No mistake and no need for apologies RM. Wal is a good friend as is Cookie and I'd recommend them both to anyone....I've also seen Mr Duffields work and it is again superb
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Chaps
I have a car that needs fixing and all the man maths in the world couldn't reason paying for a custom rebuild over keeping the car on the road st the moment .
My options at the moment. ...
Rebuild myself now using donor rings I have lying around .
Park it until I win the Euromillions and can do the cane justice or move it on so someone else can do it justice and appreciate it.
I already have an Allcocks Adonis parked aswell as a lovely 12ft Sabina.
My rod and float building exploits have been hampered of late by painful fingers but I've just started tinkering again so I'm hopeful . That being said I don't have the skills to do more than a rewhip .
It is tempting to go ahead and refurbish it now though as it feels unlike any other split cane rod I've held/waggled/put a bend in.
Regards
John

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

John, unless you do something utterly daft you have little to lose by having a go yourself, re corking a handle for instance sounds daunting but there is plenty of advice etc here, you only have to ask.
Take a load of pictures and measurements and strip it and have a go as and when funds allow, a run in the varnish? Let it harden and rub it down, a bit of dodge whipping? Cut it off and start again. :Hat:

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Paul D wrote:John, unless you do something utterly daft you have little to lose by having a go yourself, re corking a handle for instance sounds daunting but there is plenty of advice etc here, you only have to ask.
Take a load of pictures and measurements and strip it and have a go as and when funds allow, a run in the varnish? Let it harden and rub it down, a bit of dodge whipping? Cut it off and start again. :Hat:
Hi Paul
There are a few things on my mind , although I effectively own these rods and they are mine to do with as I please .I do feel more like a custodian and don't wish to risk rods which could be returned to original and that is compounded with rods people say are relatively rare .
I am 100% comfortable with my whippings and can manage a good run free varnishing without a turner beyond that the confidence is lacking.
I bought the Allcocks Adonis with the intention of doing a rebuild thread on here asking questions as I go . The Adonis looked a bit of a wreck it had a good tip & butt ring , the ferrules were ok but loose , the cork poor and had some delamination to butt and middle . I thought of completely pulling it apart to learn more about building split cane but then had second thoughts because I didn't want to loose the partial label so the project was parked.
This Sealey Roach rod would be an easy refurb to a usable rod but I feel it deserves more . She is stripped now and the cork cleaned up ok. The cork handle is only 20inch though and the collar is cheap and the butt cap missing . I wouldn't want to lengthen the handle forwards as I would loose the logo . For myself I would like new cork as its very thin and with some arthritis a thicker cork is much easier to hold, in doing that a better quality collar and butt cap make sense.
If I'm going that far I might be thinking of better quality ferrules too rather than the diy blueing I intended . Then the new set of nice rings and we are starting to talk about a serious bill for fittings and materials and all on a rod that cost £3 . I guess though at this point the cost of the cane becomes an irrelevant amusement.
Its at this point that my third project enters my mind , would the Dawsons Sabina be better bet at the moment . Good rings stunning colour cane yet sadly some minor delamination of the tip section.
My my there I go rambling again .
For this evening I have done the best I can for my projects , I have put in an order for a bag to be made for the lovely Sealey The "Roach " rod .
Best wishes
John

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

May I respectfully suggest you contact Dr Cane ( wallys cast ) if only for advice. :Hat:

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Paul D wrote:May I respectfully suggest you contact Dr Cane ( wallys cast ) if only for advice. :Hat:
Hes a nice Chap that Wal , very helpful fellow indeed .
Having thought about it last night I think I will park the other two projects and endeavour to breathe new life into the lovely Sealey Roach rod .
My first question for this build if I may gentlemen , is how do I best remove the male ferrule which has become detached and is stuck inside the female ?
A very inauspicious start to the project. .. oh dear

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Keston wrote:
Paul D wrote:May I respectfully suggest you contact Dr Cane ( wallys cast ) if only for advice. :Hat:
Hes a nice Chap that Wal , very helpful fellow indeed .
Having thought about it last night I think I will park the other two projects and endeavour to breathe new life into the lovely Sealey Roach rod .
My first question for this build if I may gentlemen , is how do I best remove the male ferrule which has become detached and is stuck inside the female ?
A very inauspicious start to the project. .. oh dear
About the only way I can think of is too take the female ferrule off and push the male out, does that make sense? :Hat:

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”