Edgar Sealey The"Roach" rod

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
Keston
Tench

Re: Edgar Sealey The"Roach" rod

Post by Keston »

Today seemed like a good day to make some progress on the Roach rod . The Counter Ferrule (male ) had become detatched and so needed regluing in place . This may be a frequently done job in terms of the skilled membership here but It's something I had never attempted before.
I felt confident and had good advice from TFFers . I had a few dry runs and was well prepared. The ferrule and cane were cleaned and ready , I also took the opportunity to get used to measuring with the lovely old calipers , the bottom of the cane was .349 and the inner of the ferrule .364 , this seemed a tiny gap on paper but in reality once the old glue and packing was stripped it seemed a huge gap.
The act of refitting went smoothly . 5 minute gorilla epoxy was mixed , I had decided after dry runs I could complete easily in time and the glue was readily available locally.
So glue on , one wet winding up the blank and then one down went on smoothly , the ferrule seemed to go on well and excess glue wiped ofv easily . Making sure the ferrule dried on straight was the most difficult thing . The nature of the compound blank and small bump in the ferrule made it difficult to roll flat on the table . It looks straight enough but I guess I won't know for sure until its dry enough to test in the female. Just a small clean with the advised cellulose thinners .
From previous threads I remembered to leave a small amount of ferrule over the end of the cane to fill the pocket with wax/varnish epoxy to protect the blank.
Thanks again for all the help.
John

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”