Octofloat

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
Gurn
Chub

Re: Octofloat

Post by Gurn »

Alan, I suppose some of this depends on the weight of the reel one puts on the rod and where on the cork it is situated. There are so many variables involved. You could always add weight at the butt end.
I also have a few rods that seem 'floppy' when waggled, but come alive once a fish is hooked.
As a first rod, I think Jeremy has made a good choice. Well built and versatile.

Ryeman
Roach

Post by Ryeman »

Thanks Gurn.
I might try to temporarily fix a reel in the new position, without damaging the rod, and give it a try.
I do agree that the niceties of all this go out of the window when you hook a good fish!
I also agree that the rod is a good all-rounder. It's designated a float rod, but as I said earlier it is also a good legering rod. It is particularly good at regestering delicate bites.

Alan

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

If you want the handle lengthened, without affecting the length of the section or the transfer, you really need to talk to our very own Wally-Cast.

He worked his voodoo magic on my Octafloat and increased the handle to 24", what a difference it makes ... Amazing transformation :)
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Robbi wrote:If you want the handle lengthened, without affecting the length of the section or the transfer, you really need to talk to our very own Wally-Cast.

He worked his voodoo magic on my Octafloat and increased the handle to 24", what a difference it makes ... Amazing transformation :)
He also cast a spell on my super Wizard :Hat:

Ryeman
Roach

Post by Ryeman »

Hi Robbi,
No I don't want the handle lengthened. What I was discussing was shortening the rod by cutting about 7" off the butt end of the handle. This would reduce the 20" handle to 13". To get it back to 20" it would have to be extended at the upper end (covering up the transfer etc. with corks ) The rod would end up 7" shorter, and a bit stiffer, and MIGHT have an improved and more positive action. But with no name! (Which doesn't really bother me...)
I'm happy to do all this myself, by the way, having built and renovated many rods over the years.

Alan

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

what I was talking about was extending the handle from the butt end thus leaving the transfer / name intact, the rod section would also stay the same length so that it will still fit the original rod bag and look "original " as well :)
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Ryeman
Roach

Post by Ryeman »

Hi Robbi, You have lost me, I'm afraid....

Alan

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Think Robbi is suggesting a screw in butt extension, makes sense to me, your rod of course but give serious thought to it before you go sawing bits off, seems a little crude..... no offence :Hat:

Ryeman
Roach

Post by Ryeman »

Hi Paul,
A screw-in butt extension wouldn't bring about the effect I'm discussing. I don't want a longer handle. I want to be able to hold the rod, when fishing with it, higher up than the present handle allows. When I hold it a few inches above the top of the present handle -in the area where the name of the rod is - the whole balance of the rod feels much better. Now I could simply achieve this by extending the length of the handle by 7" inches at its upper end, by gluing some more corks on. If the butt end of the handle was then left intact, the original 20" handle would now be 27" long, making it too long for comfortable trotting, when the rod has to be sometimes passed across your body. So to keep the handle length to 20" , 7" would have to be removed from the butt-end.

Alan

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

My 'go to' Rod is an Octofloat that has had 2" taken off each section. The balance and the action both improved.

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”