Octofloat

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
Ryeman
Roach

Re: Octofloat

Post by Ryeman »

Catfish, very interesting. Where exactly was the cane removed? It would be good to hear a bit more about this. Did you do it yourself?

Alan

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Ryeman wrote:Hi Paul,
A screw-in butt extension wouldn't bring about the effect I'm discussing. I don't want a longer handle. I want to be able to hold the rod, when fishing with it, higher up than the present handle allows. When I hold it a few inches above the top of the present handle -in the area where the name of the rod is - the whole balance of the rod feels much better. Now I could simply achieve this by extending the length of the handle by 7" inches at its upper end, by gluing some more corks on. If the butt end of the handle was then left intact, the original 20" handle would now be 27" long, making it too long for comfortable trotting, when the rod has to be sometimes passed across your body. So to keep the handle length to 20" , 7" would have to be removed from the butt-end.

Alan
Oh! Sorry Alan I read it wrong, understand what your saying now, my apologies :Hat:

Ryeman
Roach

Post by Ryeman »

Paul,
No problem! My fault. I'm not too good at explaining...

Alan

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Hi all, the way I do it on Octofloat rods is to cut approx 4 inches off the top of the rod where the ferrule sits then add 4 inches to the butt end. This gives a 24 inch handle and also gives the rod a better balance plus the makers labels are not altered in any way.

The difference in diameter four inches below the ferrule is barely measurable so the original ferrule is easily refitted and not noticeable once rewhipped and varnished.

The section added to the butt end is made from hardwood dowel or cane which is joined by a permanent ferrule under the new cork.
I have made them from aluminium tube partly filled with lead to balance the rod perfectly. As a trotting rod they a delight to hold when done this way.

I know that altering rods from original is frowned upon by some purists but they are just run of the mill fishing rods which will never be worth a fortune and were meant to be used so surely it's far better to make them a pleasure to use than not use them at all because of an awkward or wrist breaking feel.

Wal.

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

slow typing !

Wal explains it a lot better than I can ! :Hat:
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

:fishing2: Oh, what have I started.........we've created a new brand......the Choptofloat!
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Good choice for a first cane rod.

The early Octofloats are a good all round rod.

I have extended the handle a little on one of my Octofloats by removing the ferrule on the butt section, shortening the cane and refitting the ferrule. This keeps the sections equal length and the transfers intact. I used a short section of aluminium tube to extend the handle under the new cork. I hasten to add that this rod was in bad condition when I acquired it and needed a new handle anyway. The difference is amazing...the rod is now a pleasure to use, much nicer than the original rod with the shorter handle which, as others have said, can feel a bit top heavy.

Good luck with your Octofloat Jeremy, hope you enjoy it.

Ryeman
Roach

Post by Ryeman »

Jeremy, I'm feeling a bit guilty about the way you thread has been hijacked. I'm pleased that you are taking it with a sense of humour....

Wal and Crucian. Many thanks for divulging your cunning strategy for changing the action of the Octofloat. Clever stuff!

Alan

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Alan, I have no problem with being hijacked, it's been fascinating reading and I've learnt so much! Thanks to everyone for their contributions, just itching to get hold of my rod which I'm told I can't have it until Xmas day.......think I know where it is though.......
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Sorry, I replied to your original post without realising there were a further 2 pages of replies.

I hadn't seen Wal's post regarding his method of lengthening the handle, I use exactly the same method, but Wal explains the process far better than I could.

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”