Sealey Rover

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Sealey Rover

Post by Dave Burr »

In my humble opinion those few inches won't make too much difference at all.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Dave Burr wrote:In my humble opinion those few inches won't make too much difference at all.
Worth it's weight to me Mr Burr. I was hoping that would be the case.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Prince of Durham wrote:I've stripped the rod just need to remove the varnish. There is delamination on all three sections so plenty of opportunity for learning. The underside of the thread is a beautiful green, close to what you say AC, so I think I'll be buying a one of threads from G&B...

Never done a delaminated tip, so there's a few questions for another day. So nice to have a project on the go.

I'm happy to hear that the rod is well thought of. What does the esteemed forum think of the tip being short? Not a worry or should I seek a replacement?
You might find it helpful to have a look through this thread. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=5191

JohnL

Post by JohnL »

I'm not sure the tip is short by the way, I have restored several Sealeys where the tip looked an inch or so short but had the original tip ring, whipping and tapering of the cane underneath.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Good shout JohnL, I've just checked mine and it is indeed an inch or two shorter than the other sections. There you go PoD, you've got yourself a complete rod :Thumb:

And I'm unobservant :Scared:

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

All the better gents thanks for that.

Progress is: stripped and delamination found. I'll mix some cascamite tomorrow and get my syringes out. Mwah ha ha... Thread has proved an issue but I think I may have sorted that.

Victorian chimney pot ferrules, a new one for me.

A small amount of delamination on the tip section :shocked:
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Good progress, Sir ... watching with great interest for future instalments.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

The syringe came out this morning, not that it was needed for the tip section. All parts now mummified and drying. Lessons learnt from last time? Wipe the excess off!
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Coming along nicely
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Finally finished the Rover. It's to 'my' highest standard but still has room for improvement; its streets ahead of the first rod I did.

Hope these pictures show ok. Not the easiest rod to whip but its a labour of love isn't it. Delamination sorted, extra ring on the middle and tip section for better spread of weight and the use of black friars super yacht varnish for the first time. It's much, much better than any I've used previous and will be my rod varnish of choice from now on. Matching the thread posed a bit of an issue; eventually I went for pacific bay 'spring' and it's very close to the original when varnished. Really looking forward to stalking some chub with it.

Marc. (Prince of Durham)

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”