MKIV pecking order

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
GloucesterOldSpot

Re: MKIV pecking order

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

You could say a stepped up avon is like a reproduction of the later B James Avons which were about 1.25lb test, whereas the original was 1lb. But is is confusing.

That listing is full of contradictions and errors; the handle is described as both doughnut and onion (in fact it is neither) and what are Barble? With or without the capital initial, it's wrong.

At least it didn't say barbell, as I suspect trying to land one of those would ruin it, stepped-up or not.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

The make is also listed as Olivers which has got me wondering.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

That seller is indeed Oliver's Rods.

His listings often confuse me but I've watched him work cane through a flame and straighten it with a fine eye( jealous!).

He is Peter Johnson, who bought the firm from Ted Oliver when he retired and renamed it from the original Olivers of Knebworth. His website is no longer functional but he still makes rods and tours the Country Fairs

http://www.tandgmagazine.com/index.php? ... k=viewlink

http://www.livingheritagecountryshows.c ... son/56.php

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Hi all
From what I am reading on here and elsewhere there are obviously lots of variations of the MKIV and MKIV Avon, so I would be interested to know approximately how old, where in the pecking order, and any other information anyone might know regarding my recently puchased MKIV Avon from Mullocks falls:

http://www.mullocksauctions.co.uk/lot-3 ... alker.html

Julian
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Julian wrote:Hi all
From what I am reading on here and elsewhere there are obviously lots of variations of the MKIV and MKIV Avon, so I would be interested to know approximately how old, where in the pecking order, and any other information anyone might know regarding my recently puchased MKIV Avon from Mullocks falls:

http://www.mullocksauctions.co.uk/lot-3 ... alker.html

Julian
Hi Julian
It looks like a lovely rod but something is not quite right.
The listing says trumpet handle which it appears to have but it is not fully visible. The trumpet handled versions were the earliest should be: First version- October 1952: Trumpet handle, hook-keeper, shoulder collar, dark built cane. Concentric red, green or black whippings, clear or brown butt and tip rings. Transfer -- 'B.James & Son, Ealing, London'.
The one is the photo does not have a hook keeper or a shoulder collar and the transfer only says B. James & Son, England
This fits the 4th version which is: Fourth version- 1958: Bulbous handle, no shoulder collar or hook keeper, lighter coloured cane, increased test curve, red whippings, brown coloured butt and tip rings. Transfer logo -- 'B.James & Son, England'.
The handle in the photo is definitely not the bulbous (doughnut) handle.
DKM listed the versions here http://traditionalfisherman.co.uk/viewt ... =192&t=406
As GOS says in that thread sometimes the onion or bulbous handles have been re-shaped.
I think it is a 4th version wiith a re-shaped handle which on the pecking order at the top of this thread would put it at number 11.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I'd agree with all of that.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Thanks Snape ( and Beresford) , very useful you know.
I wasn't expecting it to be one of the early ones as Mullock's appear to specifically state when its an early version.
However it does seem to be in superb condition, and for £160 plus commission I consideered that to be a good buy.
I haven't used it yet but intend to do so shortly ( on the upper River Ouse - having just joined Buckingham angling club) coupled with a very niced Mitchell 350 which was a Christmas present (the version with the green knob on the handle), and also intend to purchase a centrepin in the near future.
So a 1958 MK1V Avon with a 1956/57 Mitchell seems a good match.

Julian
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Julian – it's a lovely rod and I'd agree that at £160 that would be a good buy. Who knows maybe the original owner asked James to make that handle shape rather than a donut. The most important thing is that you enjoy the rod. I've one MkIV, built in the early 1990's, that's getting a bit tired and I was never bowled over by its aesthetics in the first place, but it's been with me for so long, through some real tussles with fish that I'd never part with it.

I noticed on ebay tonight two very lovely B. James rods came up for sale. They must have been up for all of 10 mins before the sale was closed with no bids ie somebody has offered a big stack of cash…

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

I agree - that trumpet handle does look original. May have been a special request, or it may simply be an odd one. Not every post-1958 MkIV has the classic doughnut - I've seen a few odd shapes on these. B James obviously didn't insist on all their rods being made as near identical as possible. Anyway, it looks like a nice one, and the price was very reasonable.

Ron Clay

Post by Ron Clay »

There was a period in the 50s when the specified tapers of the Mk IV carp rod were increased slightly to give a test curve of 2 lbs, as against the 1.5 lbs specified by Walker. This was as a counter to much of the rubbishy tonkin cane that was coming into the country at this time. I had a James Mk IV purchased in 1964 that took on the most horrendous set. Walker saw it and told me to return the top piece as the cane had gone soft.

Old Tag Barnes, one of the members of the Northern Specimen Group, destroyed several Mk IVs, some B James, others made from JB Walker kits, on the Leney carp of Hartwith Dam in Yorkshire. It was only when the glass Tag Barnes carp rod became available that Tag and ourselves didn't smash our rods.

From my experience, the best Mk IVs were made using Bob Southwell blanks.

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”