MkIV questions.

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Cat
Chub

MkIV questions.

Post by Cat »

Good morning All,
I bit the bullet and purchased a MkIV from a reputable dealer. Seems like a nice enough rod for the price... almost perfectly straight, nice and clean. It's the London, England model.
Two questions:
Firstly, what's the test curve, roughly (I've read elsewhere from esteemed colleagues on the TFF that it varies according to model, and I'm intending to run 10lb through it)?
Secondly, the ferrules are very tight... there's perhaps a quarter of an inch of male ferrule exposed that I don't want to force. This means the tip of the male ferrule is probably just in line with the tip of the reinforced bit of the female one (if this makes sense?). Is this acceptable? I don't want to start using Brasso, etc, if this is okay. I've already used the trick of the grease from the crease of my nose, and have cleaned both with cotton buds. As the rod is a definite user, I don't want to put excessive stress on the joints.
Suggestions greatly appreciated.
Regards Cat 🐈

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Re: MkIV questions.

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Quarter of an inch is perfect. 10lb is a bit heavier than I would use. Never used more than 8lb, caught carp over 40lb on 6lb bs line, what do you need 10lb for?

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Hi Nigel,
Very snaggy...far too many lilies, and some decent sized hard fighting carp (is it me, or do the carp seem particularly hard fighting at the moment - dramatic weather variances?). However, if the consensus is 8lb, I'll stick with that on an Altex (seems like a nice combo).
Thanks Cat

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

If ferrules are tight you shouldn't apply anything greasy (including nose crease grease!) as grease attracts and holds dirt which makes it worse in the long run. Tight ferrules are usually due to an oxide layer building up so metal cleaner is fine. Polish the male ferrule and it'll be far better although it sounds ok. This is the advice of Edward Barder so I go with that although if some lubricating is needed he goes for a vegetable soap (non-greasy) piece rubbed on the male ferrule very lightly.
The t.c. should be about 1.5lbs and ok to 10lb line but you're not going to put that much pressure on a fish so 8lb should be fine but 10lb if snaggy (hook n hold etc) or for abrasion resistance.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

Richard Walker describes his original design Mk IV as having a test curve of 1.5 lbs and the test curve as being one fifth of the breaking strain line usually used (so 7.5 or 8lbs). He also adds "a latitude of about thirty percent either way in line strength, and more in skilful hands, can be allowed."
Elsewhere he says the MK IV will take lines from 6lb b.s. to 12lb b.s. but personally I use 8lb or 10lb line.

Pete

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Thank you,
I initially read Snape's rep!y as "vegetable soup'!
As cricket has been cancelled, I'll have a clean with Brasso this afternoon.
Cat

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince »

10 lb ,I use this breaking strain though my mk4 b James rods ,why use 6lb breaking strain,and leave hooks in a fish. :fishing1: mike

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I use 10lb line on my MkIVs but I suspect the actual breaking point is rather higher, as is often the case with modern lines.

I have used Brasso on a couple of ferrules successfully. As Snape writes don't ever put any sort of grease on or in the ferrules, you could end up with the metal being scored. The other thing you should never do is twist the sections when taking the rod apart. Over time the ferrules will probably fit with less and less of the male part showing. I've had one replaced due to it wearing out but the rod is over 50 years old and it's seen a lot of use.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

Be careful with Brasso, it's easy to overdo it.

I was surprised how the ferrules on an old B. James Mk 4 were cleaned and eased just by wiping both male and female with lighter fuel applied using cotton tipped ear buds.
But there's still about 1/4" of "un-engaged" male ferrule exposed on both joints, and I'm told that this is perfectly normal?

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Hi,
Thanks for your replies. On this lashing it down afternoon I've had a go with the Brasso, along with a good clean with cotton buds, and it seems to have done the job. There's still a decent amount of male ferrule exposed, but the fit is smoother and the tip of the male is just beyond the reinforcement of the female.
There's also the slightest amount of set, but as this is hardly noticeable...I'm going to leave it...non of the other cane rods I possess are absolutely perfect anyway!
May give it a whirl tomorrow if it ever stops raining.
Cat.

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”