B James Kennet Perfection

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Marks7
Bleak

B James Kennet Perfection

Post by Marks7 »

Although a member for about a year, this is my first post. As a recent convert to traditional tackle I have spent the time absorbing some of the amazing amount of knowledge and information this site contains.
Now I have launched into my first major project and I need some help!
I've just bought two thirds of a B James Kennet Perfection, that is without the handle. My intention is to make a new handle out of cork over an appropriate length of dowel with the appropriate butt rubber and ferrule.
I believe the correct length for a Kennet Perfection is 11ft 6 inches. My two cane sections are approximately 52 and 59 inches making a total length of 9ft 3 inches which would make the handle length 2ft 3 inches. Does anyone know if that's correct or is one of my cane sections short?
Also I will need male/female ferrules for the butt/cane connection and I would like to keep them traditional; does anyone know where I might get them and the other bits of butt "furniture"?
After that it's just the small matter of renovating the rest of the rod. I'm especially looking forward to the intermediate whippings every 10 millimeters!

Chavender
Eel

Re: B James Kennet Perfection

Post by Chavender »

this thread ,might be of help ,as it gives the ring positions as well as pictures ,yours sounds a little short on the tip section as both should be equal length .both should be 57" with a 24" handle .not sure on the inner construction of the handle weather its hollow built or solid cored .i'd suspect solid core to add weight for balance.

viewtopic.php?f=192&t=19377

your blank might not be enough for a kennet perfection copy ,but if the top is 52" and depending on the dia at the tip ,you could make the mid section equal to this 2x52" = 104" + 24" handle would make a 10' 6" rod .

I'd make a alloy tubed hollo handle ,its easier to make as you can set your bottom female ferrule into it then cover with cork rings or sleave ,guides N blanks has threaded ally but caps and rubber buttons .
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Marks7
Bleak

Re: B James Kennet Perfection

Post by Marks7 »

Thanks Chavender. I like the idea of the alloy tube handle.

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”