Anyone got a spare MKIV avon butt cap? Cash waiting.

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
MaggotDrowner
Zander

Anyone got a spare MKIV avon butt cap? Cash waiting.

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I've finally started the restoration of my MKIV Avon. I need the above items for its restoration. I'd be happy to pay the going rate plus postage or swap for one of these buttons (which are too large for the slim handle of the avon).

Last edited by MaggotDrowner on Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Harry H
Tench

Re: Anyone got a spare MKIV avon butt cap or hook keeper ring?

Post by Harry H »

That button you have on the left looks to be the correct colour, what I've done in the past is ground them down to the correct size and shape with the help of a drill. If you haven't the tools I would be happy to do it for you. Makes for a passable imitation until you find one. :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Re: Anyone got a spare MKIV avon butt cap or hook keeper ring?

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Thanks for the offer Harry. I'm going to leave it without one until I find one that fits. Hopefully someone will have one I can buy.

I have found the correct hook keeper ring on eBay last night. Mine was the only bid and I won it for just £1.99! :Sun:
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Re: STILL LOOKING. Anyone got a spare MKIV avon butt cap? Cash waiting.

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Things are coming along very nicely. I've sourced the right thread from the USA, stripped the old threads, varnish and rings. Fixed some delamination in the tip. Re-glued the ferrule. Cleaned the handle. But I've still not found a butt cap. :Cry:

At the top the (before the taper ends) the diameter is 21.5 mm and at the bottom of the rod section it is 16.5 mm.

Anyone have anything similar that could be made to fit? All my spares are much too big!
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Watermole+
Chub

Re: Anyone got a spare MKIV avon butt cap? Cash waiting.

Post by Watermole+ »

If you get really desperate, I will turn one for you..
I have an old B.James, Richard Walker Mk.4 Avon and can copy the one on that.

...but not until that garage warms up a couple of degrees!

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

With so many of us restoring old rods these days it really is getting hard to find some of the old fittings. Anglers Supplies in Cardiff might be worth a ring as they bought a HUGE load of old fitting from Marco in the late Seventies apparently. They do list on eBay, but nothing like what they actually have, they tell me.

H&H / Guides 'n Blanks have new butt caps but they are either black or a very bright red...not dull orange .........

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

The ones from Hopkins and Holloway are too big, sadly. I’m in communication with someone who may be able to help me out. :Beg:
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”