A rather 'special' "Avocet"

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Re: A rather 'special' "Avocet"

Post by Black Prince »

The xtra handle is like a chapman 500 :doh: but its in beautiful condition I bet your keen to use it my avocets have high bells were they available in low and high bells mine are high bells and all built cane rods it would be very interesting to know how the top middle and handle (500 -550 ) part of the rod handle compared to a chapman rod your rod is a very very nice thing the previous owner must have been quite well off to have this unique butt as well as the rod :Hat: mike :fishing1:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Lea Dweller wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:12 am A lovely and very interesting combination rod Mal, well done! I had the pleasure of "Waggling" an early "Built to Endure" Avocet? when I met up on Tuesday with "Stour Otter", I am not sure of the respective ages of the rods, but they are certainly special, and valuable!
The JOC article on "The Avocet Evolution" suggests that the 'Built to Endure' rods date to around 1950 to 1952. He refers them to 'Type 1.'

Mine appears to be a bridge between 'Type 2' (1953) and 'Type 3' as it has the spigot ferrules of a 'Type 2' but the small trumpet flare handle(s) of a 'Type 3,' so that would seem to date it quite precisely to late 1953/early 1954.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Black Prince wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:26 amwere they available in low and high bells mine are high bells and all built cane rods
The JOC article mentioned in my last post suggests that all Avocets up to about 1956/7 had "Real agate low cradle butt ring, small graduated intermediate low bells rings, and real agate tip ring."

The whole cane butt Avocets after that date were mainly 'low cradle,' but some were supplied with 'high bells.'

What he refers to as 'Type 6,' were 'split cane all through, and with high bells rings.'
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Eddy Pools
Rudd

Post by Eddy Pools »

What a beautiful rod, congratulations on owning it and thank you for sharing the video.

Is there any information on how the original owner intended to use the separate handle and top two sections together - small river fishing, light spinning etc?

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Eddy Pools wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:32 amIs there any information on how the original owner intended to use the separate handle and top two sections together - small river fishing, light spinning etc?
Not yet, Sir ... but maybe someone somewhere knows something. :holmes:

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Have you decided on any christening plans yet AC?

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

That is a lovely looking rod sir.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”