A rather 'special' "Avocet"

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

A rather 'special' "Avocet"

Post by AshbyCut »

Negotiations are complete, and next week I will become the custodian of perhaps the rarest rod I know of ... at least ... I've never even heard a whisper about such a rod before now. (I'm prepared to be shot down in flames, of course !!! 😉)

I have purchased a B. James and Sons "Avocet," 11ft. 6in. 3 piece rod with a trumpet handle, whole cane butt section, and whipped in Dark Olive silk. It's in almost completely original condition, apart from the cherry agate butt guide having been replaced by Paul Cook who carefully matched silk. There is an early gold label reading 'Avocet' which scrolls diagonally across the whole cane. and beneath it is the B. James gold relief wrap around logo reading 'B James & Sons'.

What makes it so rare is that there is an additional original trumpet handle only, 16 inches in length with identical fittings, into which the middle and tip section fit (a la Chapman's 500/550) ... making a split cane rod of 9ft. 10in., and the vendor's opinion is that it's a 'special customer order.'

The rod comes in a typical B. James & Sons herringbone bag, which has four sections to accommodate the rod.

I'll post photos when they arrive with me ... and when my hands have stopped shaking.
Last edited by AshbyCut on Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Re: A rather 'special' "Avocet"

Post by Bob Brookes »

That sounds like a good multi purpose tool. Well done Mal
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince »

Very very nice indeed and as you say two whole cane buts rare if not unique :fishing1: mike

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

Sounds fantastic, can't wait to see the pictures :Thumb:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

That's such a good idea that I can't think why they didn't make it a standard option. Excellent find!
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Wonderful Mal, but at this procurement rate you are going to need a bigger man cave! :Chuckle:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Nice Mal, looking forward to the photo's :Hat:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Rather than photos for now ... a video !!! (Forgive the artificial lighting)

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Well done Mal, another extremely fine acquisition. :Hat:

Funnily enough yesterday, I received a more modern version Avocet which I have bought myself, which needs new ferrules and while giving it the once over, the thought did cross my mind about a separate handle for the top two joints, then you go and post this, spooky or what.

Wal.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

A lovely and very interesting combination rod Mal, well done! I had the pleasure of "Waggling" an early "Built to Endure" Avocet? when I met up on Tuesday with "Stour Otter", I am not sure of the respective ages of the rods, but they are certainly special, and valuable!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”