Could it be done?

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Hovis
Tench

Could it be done?

Post by Hovis »

Chaps,

I've recently restored an old mk1v carp with lovely green whippings. It's a fairly steely rod and just that bit too heavy for my local river in normal summer conditions. I've had the idea of having a new Avon tip made so I can chop and change between them. Do we know how similar the butt sections are in the carp and Avon? I don't really want to have a tip made it it'll create a flat spot at the ferrule.

So chaps could it be done?
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: Could it be done?

Post by Tengisgol »

I'm no rod maker because but I expect it would be easy to build a graduated taper that would achieve that for you. After all, other makers did make a twin tip rod from cane with one for carp and the other lighter (Allcocks for example).
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

There is quite a step down on the Allcocks carp/ avons butt section to avon section . I did read that this may have caused some issues relating to not as many avon tips surviving compared to carp tips .

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Tengisgol wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:55 pm I'm no rod maker because but I expect it would be easy to build a graduated taper that would achieve that for you. After all, other makers did make a twin tip rod from cane with one for carp and the other lighter (Allcocks for example).

Hmmm that's interesting. I could manage with a compound taper as it's a light tip I'm looking for, even if that doesn't extend to the ferrule.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

My understanding of the original Richard Walker designs is that the Avon was exactly 10% thinner than the original Mk.IV rod. It must therefore follow that the Avon had a smaller ferrule and counter.
If you make a thinner tip that starts off 10% smaller you are going to have to expand it, going away from the original taper, at some point to meet up with a new ferrule counter. So you won't exactly duplicate the Avon through action, but will have something stiffer in the butt and part of the tip.

It won't be a MkIV Avon exactly, but it'll still fish......though perversely with less weight to the tip section you may now find the butt feels heavier, but you can probably get around that by moving your reel downwards as the rod has a very long handle anyway.

I think you will be lucky to find another counter that fits your current part-worn ferrule and you may end up buying two new sets, discarding one ferrule.

JAA

Post by JAA »

When I visited Chapmans ( a long time ago), they told me why the 500 wasn't the same taper less 10% than the 550 (which is more of less that same as the MKIV), as they though it made the rod feeble at the tip section.

They said similar when I ordered a new tip section for my 550, designed to give me a t/c in the 1.25lb range and an overall length of 11' 6", and that also dispensed with the MKIV taper and had a more progressive one - so at tip section more like the taper of a Chapman 500 might be better for a portmanteau rod and perhaps even add a few inches as well.

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”