Mk3 BJames carp rod

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
SharkBoy
Perch

Mk3 BJames carp rod

Post by SharkBoy »

Hi guys in a conversation with Andrew Davis this week he told me about a rod he was building a Mk3 double built cane rod .. I had never heard of such a beast .. has any one on the forum had one and fished with it - would be very interested to read about it cheers

Paul D

Re: Mk3 BJames carp rod

Post by Paul D »

Think you'll find there was ever only one. :Hat:

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

SharkBoy wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:19 pm Hi guys in a conversation with Andrew Davis this week he told me about a rod he was building a Mk3 double built cane rod .. I had never heard of such a beast .. has any one on the forum had one and fished with it - would be very interested to read about it cheers
Theres a bit about the mk3 here viewtopic.php?f=192&t=253&hilit=mk3+taper&start=40
With a couple of photos of the rod i have that has the exact same taper as the mk3.

i,v not used the rod but it is a lot stronger than the mk1v.

Lee.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

The original was rescued from Walker's fishing room by Chris Ball I believe and restored.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I'd love to know how the AJD MkIII replica turns out when used for large carp.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

JPC
Bleak

Post by JPC »

Paul D wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:42 pm Think you'll find there was ever only one. :Hat:
Not so sure, Chris claims to have original, the one Walker used to catch his 31/34 but if you read Mike Winter's excellent book "Along Fisherman's Paths" Mike mentions he has a MK111 carp rod which he used for pike fishing and heavy carp fishing. I presume (dangerous) Walker either sent him the blanks or perhaps an already built rod. Interesting regarding some of the other threads re Walkers use of MK1V's and MK111's.

QuinetteCane
Rudd

Post by QuinetteCane »

The timeline in Drop Me A Line would seem to be that RW double built only one
MkIII.
Once in use he opined no advantage to be had from it. Inghams Whopper Stopper
seems to be a single built version MkIII which was for lines to 18lb. The light carp
mentioned In the text came later in that year and became the MkIV for lines to
12ib and casting freelined baits.
RW still used his D/B MkIII for lead work afterwards without seemingly mentioning it.
The 31/34 capture involved a heavy lead beyond the MkIV design capabilities.
I wonder if he was loyally protecting the B James product as It may have
affected their sales which he did not benefit from.
I did try deadbaiting with a MkIV just the once, not a good idea.
It has been a while since I read the book! Just my take on it from memory.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

The double built MK3 was rescued from RWs study by Chris Ball and refurbished. There is a more detailed account somewhere I am sure but this is an extract from 'A Century of Carp Fishing'.

Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

JPC
Bleak

Post by JPC »

Tengisgol wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:41 am The double built MK3 was rescued from RWs study by Chris Ball and refurbished. There is a more detailed account somewhere I am sure but this is an extract from 'A Century of Carp Fishing'.

Yes that is right, I first saw this rod shortly after Chris had re-built it and brought it along to one of the BCSG meetings at the Crooked Billet, probably around '71 or '72. As far as I know Chris still has the rod, however if you read Mike Winter's book "Along Fisherman's Paths" Mike dedicates one chapter to his tackle. On page 143 he mentions owning "a forerunner of the Mk1V, a Mk111 carp rod (a very powerful piece of stick that is)". So it would appear that two Mk111's exist (at least) ? As I mentioned in my earlier post I presume Mike was either given the rod or the blanks by Dick, which would indicate Dick made/built (at least) two Mk111's ?

Mick
Chub

Post by Mick »

Please excuse my ignorance Gentlemen and not wishing to deflect from the original post, but what do you mean by 'double built'?

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”