Advice please I am confused

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Advice please I am confused

Post by Black Prince »

I went carp fishing the other week I am lucky enough to own two b James rods which I was using I caught two double figure fish both my mk4 and a avocet handled the fish very well what I need to know is the test curves of the rods are 11/2'and11/4' only 1/4 of a pound difference would a avocet be okay to use for carp fishing (I am quite inexperienced) or would another carp rod be needed are the tapers the same just the avocet a bit thinner at the top thanks in advance gentlemen :Hat: mike

Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Re: Advice please I am confused

Post by Chris Bettis »

The Avocet is not intended for use as a carp rod. It will handle carp but the rods designed for carp fishing are so much better and if you have one I suggest that is what you use.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

The MkIV carp rod is designed to be able withstand the strain of a hard fighting fish. Of course you can catch carp with an Avocet but a long battle might strain the tip section. If you don't need to use it I'd stick with the MkIV.

In my student days when I had no money the only rod I had was a Winfield Roachfisher, an 11' glass rod with a t/c of just 3/4lbs. I caught carp up to 14lbs with it but it could get a bit hairy at times.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince »

I have taken the plunge one a carp rod winging its way as I write I used to be a fly fisherman so playing not so much of a problem but beter for the carp if the fights over quicker I had my eye on one but wasn't committed till I read your response but it's still only 1/4 lb test curve between the mk4 and the avocet that's what was throwing me thanks again mike :Hat:

Woodytia
Crucian Carp

Post by Woodytia »

If Carp are the species you are fishing for or most likely to catch I'd say light leger tactics or freelining and a MKIV cane rod would be the way to go because you never know when that 20lb plus fish is going to take the bait. I'm not sure how relevant the test curve of an Avocet or a MKIV rod is apart from indicating some idea of strength of line and the weight it can cast without causing damage. My only reservation about traditional MKIV rods is that they are a bit short when trying to keep fish away from bank side snags, I'm sure there are 11ft versions available now which are probably more suited to the overall increase in average weight of Carp caught nowadays. Having said that I've caught loads of double figure carp using a poor mans Avocet (Floatcaster) and standard float tactics.

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince »

I was looking to buy another mk4 but didn't want to buy one before I got the definite reply that the avocet would be a bit pushed I caught a carp last time out it took me around tree roots but I managed to get it out I don't fish far out but in the margins I never thought carp would become a spieces i would go fishing for but I got the bug I bought a cxxbxn carp rod a few years ago it was a cross between a beach caster and a bargepole the mk4 I got was a lovely through action and a bit more forgiving in the fight a new built cane rod far out of reach for me I like to have a bash at every thing that swims so a few rods to the armoury thanks again gents for the replies :Hat: mike

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”