MKIV S/U

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Re: MKIV S/U

Post by Ljm183 »

Paul D wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:45 pm Shame about the tip letting go like that, seems a strange place to break? I do wonder if it's suffered a mishap in the past?
If you look at the thickness of the cane you can see they have shaved a lot off to get the tip ring to fit which will weaken the tip quite a lot. It looks like they've used the same tip ring as the Mk1v Carp and Avon.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

BendSomeCane wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:15 pm Gentlemen, I have an offer of a BJames MKIV .... around £200 . Is this a fair price

BSC
Depends on model and condition

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Ljm183 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:18 pm
Paul D wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:45 pm Shame about the tip letting go like that, seems a strange place to break? I do wonder if it's suffered a mishap in the past?
If you look at the thickness of the cane you can see they have shaved a lot off to get the tip ring to fit which will weaken the tip quite a lot. It looks like they've used the same tip ring as the Mk1v Carp and Avon.
Interesting point there Ljm. Would suggest that the tip ring has at least been exchanged in the past. Checked my drawer already. Unfortunately I don't have anything matching. But I would be interested in the actual ring if it gets exchanged :Hat:
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

OldTackle wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:23 pm
Interesting point there Ljm. Would suggest that the tip ring has at least been exchanged in the past. Checked my drawer already. Unfortunately I don't have anything matching. But I would be interested in the actual ring if it gets exchanged :Hat:
I don't think the tip ring,s been changed, my S/U was the same.

Bit of a dodgy photo, but you can see what i mean

Last edited by Ljm183 on Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Ljm183 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:25 pm
OldTackle wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:23 pm
I don't think the tip ring,s been changed, my S/U was the same.
Strange thing whatever could have happened to the tip in that area but if it's original it shouldn't be a big deal to get it back on again.

Edit: Oh Yes, now you uploaded that picture I can see it. Quite a drastic taper. If it was my rod I would look for something slightly bigger as replacement, now the ring has to be re-fitted anyway.
Last edited by OldTackle on Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Depends on condition, could be a bargain :-)

BendSomeCane
Crucian Carp

Post by BendSomeCane »

Whats the model ??? Shoukd I look for something ??
BSC
http://bendsomecane.blogspot.com/
By the grace of god a Yorkist

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

BendSomeCane wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:32 pm Whats the model ??? Shoukd I look for something ??
BSC
Look for 1st / 2nd or third versions . 4th version can be a bit suspect, ie. cane and finish.

Good condition 4th versions should sell for £200-250. 1st,2nd and 3rd a lot more.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First version- October 1952: Trumpet handle, hook-keeper, shoulder collar, dark built cane. Concentric red, green or black whippings, clear or brown butt and tip rings. Transfer -- 'B.James & Son, Ealing, London'.

Second version- 1955: Onion handle , hook-keeper, no shoulder collar, dark built cane. Concentric red or green whippings, brown coloured butt and tip rings. Transfer logo -- 'B.James & Son, Ealing, London'.

Third version- 1956/1957: Onion handle, hook-keeper, small shoulder collar, medium brown coloured cane, concentric red or green whippings, brown coloured butt and tip rings. Transfer logo -- 'B.James & Son, London, England'.

Fourth version- 1958: Bulbous handle, no shoulder collar or hook keeper, lighter coloured cane, increased test curve, red whippings, brown coloured butt and tip rings. Transfer logo -- 'B.James & Son, England'.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Here you go Andy:

viewtopic.php?f=192&t=406

The closer you get to Walker the more the rod is worth.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Oops sorry! I've cross posted, but there is a lot of useful detail in the thread I linked to.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”