MKIV S/U

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Snape
Bailiff

MKIV S/U

Post by Snape »

I managed to pick up a B. James MKIV S/U with intention to use it at Ashmead in August.
It arrived today and the cane is in lovely condition and dead straight (phew!). I noticed the tip section is a little shorter than the butt section and wondered whether it was the correct length. On putting it together and measuring it from rubber butt cap to tip ring it is 10' 2.5". I was surprised by this. Is this unusual or the correct length?
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Northern Eel
Chub

Re: MKIV S/U

Post by Northern Eel »

The top section of my B.James MKIV is slightly shorter than the butt section so I think that's probably normal, 10' 2" assembled is about right
"Chasing frothy bubbles while the world is full of troubles"

"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Mk1v S/U at 10ft 2in

Mk1v Carp and Avon from 10ft 2in to 10ft 3in.

10ft 2in and over, perfect..

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

I noticed that before Snape and found all of my english made rods do have bare cane sections all of the same lengths. So when butt caps and ferrules are fitted it makes the butt sections longer and tips shorter respectively. Similar to three piece rods. I only found that differently on German and French made rods. My Peon et Michel spinning rod has two exact same pieces meaning the tip section is a bit longer. Same with my D.A.M rods. Seems as if there were just differences in how the end product shall look like. I found it not an issue as the longer butt section will protect the tip ring by that way of manufacturing. :Hat:
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince »

Yes my b James mk4 is the same but section 2inches longer than tip the only reason that comes to my mind is when in the rods sleave it would be stronger when tied together with the but 2 inches longer with the original ferrule stopper less likely to break Mike :Hat:

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Thanks, chaps. That all makes sense.
The other thing is that it has red reel bands. Are these likely to be original?
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

I have seen a few MkIV SU rods over the years - a couple with screw reel fittings but have never seen one with red reel bands - all the others I have seen have had the usual reel bands you would find on a Mk IV. I think Julian has a very original MkIV SU have a word with him.

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Makes me think Snape. Maybe there was a previous owner that fell in love with red? Sealers also do come in strange reel band colors to my eye. I remember the Fred Crouch line of pin's also were available in red anodized. Maybe there is some link? If you take off the rubber butt cap, do they easily slip out?

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

OldTackle wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:42 pm Makes me think Snape. Maybe there was a previous owner that fell in love with red? Sealers also do come in strange reel band colors to my eye. I remember the Fred Crouch line of pin's also were available in red anodized. Maybe there is some link? If you take off the rubber butt cap, do they easily slip out?
That is a possibility. The original owner's details are on the bag.

It says
Lady Brookes
Avonside
Bidford on Avon
'10' spinning rod'

I tracked her down as being the wife of the industrialist Lord Brookes (previously Sir Raymond Percival Brookes) who enjoyed fly fishing on the upper Wye. Maybe this was her salmon spinning rod and she liked the colour red. We'll never know as she died in 2004 aged 90.

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Snape wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:27 pm
OldTackle wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:42 pm Makes me think Snape. Maybe there was a previous owner that fell in love with red? Sealers also do come in strange reel band colors to my eye. I remember the Fred Crouch line of pin's also were available in red anodized. Maybe there is some link? If you take off the rubber butt cap, do they easily slip out?
That is a possibility. The original owner's details are on the bag.

It says
Lady Brookes
Avonside
Bidford on Avon
'10' spinning rod'

I tracked her down as being the wife of the industrialist Lord Brookes (previously Sir Raymond Percival Brookes) who enjoyed fly fishing on the upper Wye. Maybe this was her salmon spinning rod and she liked the colour red. We'll never know as she died in 2004 aged 90.
Lucky you Snape. What you found out about the previous owner (at least one of them) is far more than most of us ever reveal with our rods. 'Lady' Brookes and 'red' seems to be a good explanation. If you bother with it you could replace the reel bands or even get rid of the anodized finish. I am sure there will be someone experienced around here able to help you with this.
Congratulations to your purchase in any case, Sir :Hat:

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”