Green whipped B James rods.

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
PondLife
Perch

Green whipped B James rods.

Post by PondLife »

With so many green whipped B James Mk1v avon and carp rods circulating at the moment how do you spot an original one. Would i be right in assuming only the early ealing rods with the trumpet handle should be whipped in green or was it carried on to the later models?. Only it's getting a bit confusing trying to find an original rod when even the donut handled rods are whipped in green.

Gurn
Chub

Re: Green whipped B James rods.

Post by Gurn »

I have a green whipped B. James Peter Tombleson rod that I 100% know is original. The whippings are very dark, almost black. This rod has an onion handle..You can see photos for reference here..viewtopic.php?f=192&t=19429
Last edited by Gurn on Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PondLife
Perch

Post by PondLife »

Hi Gurn, that is one beautiful and rare rod and i've no doubt as to it's originality. I'm most envious. It's the mk1v's that are intriguing me . There seem to be a lot around at the moment going for silly prices. I know some have been changed because the owner preferred the colour but i wonder how many have been changed to make the rod more saleable?.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Pondlife as Gurn said above.
The whippings are very dark green, almost black on the original early rod,s. I have two, both rod,s are onion handled, one with Ealing London and the other London England.

This the London England Rod.

More photos here in the for sale section viewtopic.php?f=94&t=19480

Lee.

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

PondLife wrote:Hi Gurn, that is one beautiful and rare rod and i've no doubt as to it's originality. I'm most envious. It's the mk1v's that are intriguing me . There seem to be a lot around at the moment going for silly prices. I know some have been changed because the owner preferred the colour but i wonder how many have been changed to make the rod more saleable?.
I'm sure that a good few have been re-whipped to make them more marketable. It's sometimes what a seller doesn't write, rather than what they write that is the giveaway. For instance "Green Whipped Mk IV" might be different to "Unrestored Green Whipped Mk IV".
We are lucky as members of this forum that the pooled knowledge and information herein gives us an element of protection from the unscrupulous.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

There was 5 Green whipped Mk1v,s at the last Mullocks auction and all 5 looked a bit suspect to me. ie reshaped handles, rewhipped with green thread and wrong transfers. You can normally tell an original by the whipping colour and the very good quality finish.

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”