Mkiv avon

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
RBTraditional
Catfish

Re: Mkiv avon

Post by RBTraditional »

We've had barbel to 14.01 on a Mk1v Avon and plenty of doubles....In fact my fishing partner has fluked over 200....without any problem whatsoever....
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Wild Duck
Gudgeon

Post by Wild Duck »

I had a 13lb common on my avon, they fight like crazy in this particular deep pool I fish, and I did feel a bit under gunned. The fight went on longer than it should have, and with fish welfare top on my list, I haven't used it there since. Though I do love it when you feel the cane bending in the handle :Chuckle:

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

That's what's it's all about....heart stopping moments with a MK1V avon.....life is too short not to experience that thrill!

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Upper double on my MKIV Avon great fun
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Post by Chris Bettis »

No the rod in question was not made by James but was one of those rods made by Walker himself. Years ago The Anglers Mail ran a column for Sale and Exchange. As soon as I read that the rod was for exchange I rang the seller and was told that I had missed it by some 20 mins or so and that he had made a deal with Chris Yates. It seems that the seller had told Chris what he wanted and Chris, having inspected the Avon took him to his local tackle shop and got got him what he wanted. The Avon may well have been one of those that Dick made up from a Walker of Hythe kit or one that he made with his own hands from scratch. Either way it was obviously a good Walker rod although we never found out what condition it was in after Chris landed his record carp on it!

JPC
Bleak

Post by JPC »

Really ! I first saw this rod when Chris brought it up to the Pool, he had just acquired it, if I remember correctly he had swapped it for something not bought it. When he showed it to me he announced it had been made by Richard Walker himself, I was a bit surprised as it had intermediate whipping's and I knew Walker was not a fan of them, it also had a fixed screw winch fitting which again Walker was not fond of. The rod did have quite a bit of crud and grim on the handle and butt and didn't appear to have been looked after however it was straight just the normal droop of an Avon.
When I asked him how he knew Walker had built the rod he replied "the chap I got it off told me" ! I didn't press the point as he also showed me an old Ambidex which he said he intended to use, after looking at I told him he shouldn't, not just yet. The reel was not in a good state of repair, the handle needed a lot of effort to turn it, the clutch or drag was more or less seized and most concerning of all the line pick up point on the bail arm was grooved, any mono line going round it under tension (i.e. a hooked fish) would almost certainly be damaged and weakened. Back in those day's I always kept a small number of reel bits and mini spanners, screwdrivers, plus an old Hardy oil can in my car just in case one of my reels played up. I took the reel from him and over the next day I managed to get it back in working order, including fileing the bail arm smooth, I did suggest he try and find a replacement bail arm as the groove would return in time.
The following June Chris went on to catch the 38 at a new record weight using those two items of tackle. Shortly after this the fish was rejected by the BRCFC on the basis of identification, this causing quite a controversy in the carp world. It wasn't long before Dick Walker got involved offering his support to Chris's claim. Dick wrote several articles in the Angling Times supporting Chris and condemning the BRCFC and in one of the articles he mentioned that Chris's fish had caught on a split cane rod built by him (Walker)! At this point I concluded that Chris was right and my doubts were wrong.
After this I never gave the rod another thought, I was aware that Barry had bought the rod in an auction but that was all. Moving forward a lot of years I became very friendly with the artist John Grant, and after sorting out a little problem for John he asked if I would like a couple of days as his guest at his syndicate water, which I accepted. A week or so before our trip John rang to ask if I would bring my Len Arbury net, when I asked why he said a friend of his was now the owner of the Yates Avon having bought it from Barry and he would like a photo of the rod and net together. When I arrived at the water, John's friend was waiting for us, shortly after the rod was produced and I recognised it straight away although the tip looked a bit shorter. Now the new owner had not had the rod renovated or refurbished but he had had it cleaned, the crud and grim on the butt and handle gone and there just above the handle somewhat faded but clear enough were the words "B James MK 1V Avon" I sort of spurted out "I knew it" John and his friend both giving me a strange look. When I showed it to them neither were aware of the claim that the rod was hand built by Walker (too young to remember) the new owner believing all along it was a James Avon.
I did hear quite recently the owner was thinking of selling it.

MattMinter
Bleak

Post by MattMinter »

Thus far, chub to 6lb! I have only had this amazing old stick for a few months so who knows given time.....

“Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of both inflicting injury, and remedying it.”

Albus Dumbledore.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

MattMinter wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 6:29 pm Thus far, chub to 6lb! I have only had this amazing old stick for a few months so who knows given time.....

You'll probably end up with the same addiction as I have....amazing rods!

MattMinter
Bleak

Post by MattMinter »

RBTraditional wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 6:44 pm
MattMinter wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 6:29 pm Thus far, chub to 6lb! I have only had this amazing old stick for a few months so who knows given time.....

You'll probably end up with the same addiction as I have....amazing rods!
Worse addictions to have, Sir. :)
“Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of both inflicting injury, and remedying it.”

Albus Dumbledore.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Absolutely Matt. My collection has now risen again....up to nine now! Just can't help myself! To me they are the perfect rod, I dream about them!

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”