The one that landed Clarissa

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
CrayCane
Chub

Re: The one that landed Clarissa

Post by CrayCane »

Beresford wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:10 pm
I think there is a very simple explanation. I believe that Yates owned more than one MkIV Avon and his own writing would confirm that in my view. The first one he bought and first used as a teenager was a B. James rod. (Image(s) of this rod are in Casting at the Sun.) The rod that was used to catch the record was indeed Walker built and a later acquisition. He may also have had others for all we know.

It is the Walker built rod that he used to catch the Bishop and it is this rod that is for sale in September.
Except that John Carver having seen this very rod said ".... the crud and grim on the butt and handle gone and there just above the handle somewhat faded but clear enough were the words "B James MK 1V Avon" viewtopic.php?f=192&t=21063&p=322772#p322772

Presumably there is no sign of the B James words on the auction item.

I haven't got a clue what the explanation is.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

From memory he mentions breaking the tip of the Clarisa rod in one of his 'diary' books. As mentioned in the auctioneers description.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

SofaSurfer wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:53 pm From memory he mentions breaking the tip of the Clarisa rod in one of his 'diary' books. As mentioned in the auctioneers description.
Quite right Sir, he's also on film saying as much and with the rod, Bob the float has a DVD called "the light carp rod" .

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

SofaSurfer wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:53 pm From memory he mentions breaking the tip of the Clarisa rod in one of his 'diary' books. As mentioned in the auctioneers description.
Presumably you mean the Bishop rod which is what the rod in the auction is, rather than the original MKIV which is the Clarissa (Ravioli / 44) rod.
Last edited by Snape on Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Snape wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:42 am
Presumably you mean the Bishop rod which is what the rod in the auction, is rather than the original MKIV which is the Clarissa (Ravioli / 44) rod.
Ah yes, your quite right. :Hat:

JPC
Bleak

Post by JPC »

Oh dear. I think the description of the rod given by Angling Auctions is from the letter of provenance written by Chris Yates when the rod was originally auctioned many years ago.
When I met up with John Grant and John Gray at the Croxley Syndicate two years ago to have the Yates rod and Arbery landing net photographed I was shown the rod, the first time I had seen the rod for many years. It was the rod used by Chris albeit slightly shorter, it was also somewhat cleaner and there on the butt just above the cork handle were the words B James Richard Walker Mk 1V Avon. I showed the the rod to both Johns, John the owner had assumed all along it was a James Avon and neither John was aware of the Walker built story so I relayed it to them.
Now if you don't believe me why not ask Chris Ball, there are photo's on this thread showing the two Chris's fishing together using the two record breaking cane rods. Knowing Chris Ball as I do he will have inspected the Yates Avon in some detail and would surely know of its origin. Having said that Chris may be reluctant to comment which will also tell you something !
I will not comment any further on the subject but I can assure you the rod used by Chris Yates to land his 51 pounder was a B James Mk 1V Avon albeit as Chris Ball says a "special request" job because of the reel winch fitting.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

JPC wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:06 am Oh dear. I think the description of the rod given by Angling Auctions is from the letter of provenance written by Chris Yates when the rod was originally auctioned many years ago.
When I met up with John Grant and John Gray at the Croxley Syndicate two years ago to have the Yates rod and Arbery landing net photographed I was shown the rod, the first time I had seen the rod for many years. It was the rod used by Chris albeit slightly shorter, it was also somewhat cleaner and there on the butt just above the cork handle were the words B James Richard Walker Mk 1V Avon. I showed the the rod to both Johns, John the owner had assumed all along it was a James Avon and neither John was aware of the Walker built story so I relayed it to them.
Now if you don't believe me why not ask Chris Ball, there are photo's on this thread showing the two Chris's fishing together using the two record breaking cane rods. Knowing Chris Ball as I do he will have inspected the Yates Avon in some detail and would surely know of its origin. Having said that Chris may be reluctant to comment which will also tell you something !
I will not comment any further on the subject but I can assure you the rod used by Chris Yates to land his 51 pounder was a B James Mk 1V Avon albeit as Chris Ball says a "special request" job because of the reel winch fitting.

So, where is the B. James rod which JPC is talking about....? :Confused:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

The plot thickens !!
Best Fishes
Mushy

Jardine
Perch

Post by Jardine »

JPC wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:06 am Oh dear. I think the description of the rod given by Angling Auctions is from the letter of provenance written by Chris Yates when the rod was originally auctioned many years ago.
Hi John,
I'm a bit confused here, who is the current owner of the rod?
Best regards
Mem

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

My brain hurts! :Hair out:
It sounds like a right can of worms, so I think that I may just give this one a miss.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”