B James Kennet help req'd

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

B James Kennet help req'd

Post by Northern_Nomad »

I'm going to look at a B James Kennet perfection tomorrow evening.
pictures look good, nice condition with acceptable cosmetics and the odd loose rings as can be expected.

Problem is that it is 11' 3" as opposed to 11' 6 or 7" as the Kennet Perfections were ( as opposed to the Avon Perfection) supposed to be so I' m looking at a rod with a potentially short tip. It definitely is a Kennet Perfection.

I've tried various websites to look at the dimensions of these rod - Chapmans for example no longer seem to do their schematic diagrams.

So with only a few hours to go, does someone happen to have the dimensions of the tip with ring spacing a or even possess one which they can measure up?

Cheers :Thumb:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: B James Kennet help req'd

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Hi Neil,
I restored one a while back and although I never measured it, both cane sections were more or less the same length.

Wal.

Huttojon
Minnow

Post by Huttojon »

I cannot find the paper at the moment but having owned three James Kennets I have no dout that the correct length of this rod is 11feet 3 inches.JohnH

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

Thanks gents.

I'm basing this assumption on two Kennets currently for sale on the fisherman's emporium which are both 11' 6" and an Avon perfection is 11' 3"

There is also a thread on here from Traditionangling with a Kennet for sale at 11' 6"

Wal's pic lets me know that the sections are roughly equal, and on a couple of other threads there are pics of the ring spacing and 6 rings on the tip section. It would be nice though to have the measurement between the rings for certainty, as the rod is not being sold for pennies.
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Avon Perfection is 3 piece rod - not 2 + butt section. 11ft 3in.

Kennet Perfection 2 piece + butt = 11ft 6in ish!

View INTHENET.COM.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Just found my work sheet for the Kennet Perfection I restored and the ring spacing's were (working down from tip ring)
Tip section. 135mm - 200mm - 253mm - 285mm - 322mm - 248mm.
Butt section from top of ferrule. 175mm - 315mm - 300mm - 342mm - 350mm.
The handle length was 630mm o/a x 22mm dia.

Wal.
Just realised that the last size in each section is probably the ring distance from the male ferrule so that would make each section around 57 inches long. Add the 2ft handle and it gives 11ft 6in.

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

Excellent Gents, many thanks.

I feel happier going to view it now I know the dimensions :Thumb: :Thumb: :Hat:

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman »

take a very good look at the female ferrules,as ive found quite a few seem to have very fine hair line cracks due to age hardening over time, a common fault on b james rods i find,take a magnifiying glass with you and look at it in natural light, best of luck chubman.

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”