Richard Walker 'Signature' Rods....

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
FishingCollector

Richard Walker 'Signature' Rods....

Post by FishingCollector »

Does anybody know how many of Walkers first rods he actually signed in the Indina ink himself? - Before he got Jim Bruce to sign them for him- and how many have surfaced ?

Many Thanks

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Richard Walker 'Signature' Rods....

Post by Nobby »

No one is certain....it seems it depends on what might constitute a 'batch' as he is supposed to have signed the contents of 'two first batches'.
At the very most this is thought to be no more than 40 rods, I read...probably a good deal less.

Here's Chris on the subject:

http://traditionalfisherman.com/viewtop ... re#p177756

FishingCollector

Post by FishingCollector »

Thanks very much for sending the info Nobby....Very very interesting. So say 40 max.... How many of them have survived in one piece so to speak?! we will never know?! Much appreciated.

Chris Ball
Bleak

Post by Chris Ball »

FishingCollector wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:41 pm Thanks very much for sending the info Nobby....Very very interesting. So say 40 max.... How many of them have survived in one piece so to speak?! we will never know?! Much appreciated.
At Angling Auctions viewing from Friday (28th) I saw a genuine Walker/B.James ‘Signature’ rod. This is the 10th different one I’ve run across over the years. Pretty good nick too.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

There is a member on here who has one (as well as an original Walker built MKIV).
I saw them both being fished with on a trip to a carp lake last year.
His view is that were made to be fished with... :shocked:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

If a member on here actually has an original Walker handbuilt Mkiv and you know who it is Snape, could you please ask him what the node pattern is. Staggered or spiral?? as per my earlier thread on this subject. I might have one myself that's not signed!!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Santiago wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:13 am If a member on here actually has an original Walker handbuilt Mkiv and you know who it is Snape, could you please ask him what the node pattern is. Staggered or spiral?? as per my earlier thread on this subject. I might have one myself that's not signed!!
PM sent
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Hans Raaijmakers
Minnow

Post by Hans Raaijmakers »

Does anyone has some more info on the Richard Walker hand built Mk.IV carp (lot. 530) which was on sale last Saturday? Other then was on the website already?

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Lot 530 although termed hand built, is actually a Southwell blank that Walker apparently furbished and signed, so not actually hand built by himself. This can be easily gleaned from reading the description of this rod on the saleroom website.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Hans Raaijmakers
Minnow

Post by Hans Raaijmakers »

Actually I have it on (very) good authority that it's most likely a build on a blank of J.B. Walker of Hythe, Kent and not a Southwell blank at all. But I do wander who this Mr. Baker of Leighton Buzzard, Beds. was and how he came to own this rod? Was it "build" for him by RW?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. :)

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”