Hardy Perfection Palakona 8ft

The Hardy Rods forum.
Hampshireboy
Ruffe

Hardy Perfection Palakona 8ft

Post by Hampshireboy »

Good evening all, first post so be gentle with me.😆 I have been offered the above rod but not sure about its value . It is in good order with just a few of the Burgundy intermediate whippings missing but I think the tip eye has been replaced and possibly the top section repaired. It's a 2 piece rod and once the whippings are sorted and the suregrip catch cleaned up (bit of corrosion )it really is a lovely rod. If anybody knows what lengths and aftm weights they did and a rough idea of value I would most grateful.Thanks . Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Hampshireboy on Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hampshireboy
Ruffe

Re: Hardy Perfection Palonaka 8ft

Post by Hampshireboy »

I will post a pic of the tip section and other shots when I can work it out .only one pic went on the post. Sorry chaps.

Hampshireboy
Ruffe

Post by Hampshireboy »

It's Palakona lol 😂
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Hi Steve
Has it lost anything from the tip ? Is it short?
John

Hampshireboy
Ruffe

Re: Hardy Perfection Palakona 8ft

Post by Hampshireboy »

I'm not totally sure but the tip eye I believe isn't original and it would have a long whipping at the tip normally .

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

When it is put together, does it measure 8ft, that will answer if it has any missing?

Hampshireboy
Ruffe

Post by Hampshireboy »

It is 541/2 inches for the butt section and 421/2 inches top section . That makes it 8 ft 1 inch. It was advertised as 8 ft apparently when the seller purchased it but not sure if it was the original length.

Hampshireboy
Ruffe

Post by Hampshireboy »

Just been doing some searching and they did do an 8 ft model but the sections are both the same length which makes me think the one I've been offered was originally longer.

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

The top eye is not original. It should be one of clear agatine as the butt ring and all the intermediates should be ‘bridge’ rings, tied with crimson silk throughout.
It was quite normal for a tip ring to be renewed, but this is a totally alien pattern replacement so it might be worthwhile giving the rod closer scrutiny..

When the two pieces of the rod are beside one another, the butt section is usually about 1/2” longer (without stopper) to protect the top when in the rod bag.
Check the rod serial number on the reel fitting which will give you the year of manufacture.

The inscription above the top of the fly keeper ring should read:- “The Perfection” Palakona Regd. Trade Mark”
There should also be the rod length written there and also the AFTM number, thus:- #5 for example.

It was named ‘The Perfection’ and offered in a variety of lengths and casting weights. Very similar to the later ‘Gold Medal’ except that the latter was a 3-piece rod, not two.
The action was intended to be suitable for both wet-and dry fly fishing but was slow by comparison to other rods and they were heavy for their lengths.
They were fine for leisurely fishing with a silk line at close to mid distances but do need a heavy reel such as ‘The Perfect’ to balance them up a bit better.

All these rods were very nicely finished with a very durable, gloss varnish and rather nostalgic to use,but totally unsuited to still water and not a rod I would want to cast all day!
Do check the top section carefully for fractures because many of them suffered from abuse in their latter years by being thrashed with overrated plastic lines.

If your rod has 8’ written on it, I would think that it was rated #5 and a weight forward line of that size will give the best results for casts up to about 10-15 yards.

Definitely not a rod for distance work and you will need to slow your casting timing down considerably to get the best out of it.

With kindest regards.

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Hampshireboy
Ruffe

Post by Hampshireboy »

Thankyou very much for a very informative reply . The serial no H28481 dates it about 1961 I think. It has the Black writing above the handle but not the AFTM rating above or the stated length.The intermediate rings are all the bridge type and in good order and the whippings are Crimson. Would I be correct in saying that on the original the 2 sections should be virtually the same length? There is a 12inch difference on this one. I must be able to get the right specs for the serial number somewhere.

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”