101 Year Old Hardy Coarse Rod Conservation

The Hardy Rods forum.
Paul F
Sea Trout

101 Year Old Hardy Coarse Rod Conservation

Post by Paul F »

I am a big fan of early Hardy Coarse rods, and I could not believe my luck coming across this one, I think I have hit the jackpot :huray:

The number on the butt cap is B2047 which dates the rod to 1916, which is midway through WW1, and it is in absolute stunning original condition :shocked:

All I can think, the rod was used when new for a few years, then stored away hanging correctly for many many years.

It is 11ft three piece, it has a wooden handle with wooden button, "W" reel fitting on whole cane, the middle is whole cane and the tip is split cane, it has special upright rings, with agate lined tip ring, and the varnish looks amazing with the pattern it has created on the rod, and believe me it is as straight as the day it left the factory, oh and the bag is mint :drool:

It does not have an inscription, a lot of the early rods didn't, but as Hardy only offered 7 coarse rod models in this period, 3 roach rods, 2 pike rods, 1 barbel/chub rod and the FWK Walis Perfect Nottingham rod and this rods meets this catalogue description exactly, it can only be an FWK Wallis Perfect Nottingham.

Now it had one fault, the Female ferrule on the butt was split, and someone had fitted a sleeve over, this did not work very well and I think the reason it was stored away.

Thanks with the help of Crucian this was replaced exactly as it would have been and the green silk thread matched, you would be pushed to notice, as to the silk thread, it is a very dark green and with the varnish of the day they look almost black.

Crucian said it is the best vintage cane rod he has ever come accross, and I tend to agree :Hat:

I have not restored it, lets just say it has had some light conservation, I just gave the rings a light rub with fine wet & dry to remove the surface rust, and the whole rod a very thin layer of Mylands No8 matt varnish.

Sorry if I have gone on a bit, but please judge for yourself from the photo's, and the reel is a 1915 1st model 3 1/2" Eureka with cut away frame
I cannot wait to christen it :Thumb:

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Re: 101 Year Old Hardy Coarse Rod Conservation

Post by AllRounder »

What a fabulous example and a wonderful combination. Congratulations from a fellow Hardy bottom fishing enthusiast. I'm off to the Hardy museum at Alnwick tomorrow I doubt I'll see anything to better that.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

What a find. Well done Paul!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

That's stunning Paul, what a find .

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Well done Paul, I can confirm that this rod is an absolute beauty and I wish you many years of pleasure from it's use.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Oh now, Paul. That is a pretty rod, keep her fishing.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

What a lovely find and that varnish reminds me of Tiger bread, nice enough to eat! I have an old Hardy Salmon spinning rod which has a similar varnish appearance but the cane is much darker. I gave that a light rub down with very fine wire wool and gave it a light re-coat. That was quite a few years ago and it still retains a nice finish so am pleased with what I did. I personally would leave all the Patina intact as much as you can, how lovely to see original history and if you can use it, well, what a bonus. :Thumb:

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Absolutely tremendous - I am surprised you have not organised a celebratory firework display and drinks evening on this acquisition.

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

very nice
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Splendid, Sir ... simply Splendid !!! :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”