Casting weight for Hardy 'The Wanless' 4lb

The Hardy Rods forum.
DavidM
Stickleback

Casting weight for Hardy 'The Wanless' 4lb

Post by DavidM »

I've recently acquired this lovely 6'10" rod and have read some of the other interesting comments relating to The Wanless on the Forum.

I understand it's designed for use with 4lb line - which ties in with my thinking as I can't believe it's a test curve - so I'm after some advice please regarding its optimum casting weight as I want to do some lightweight lure fishing on the local canal.

Thank you, David

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Re: Casting weight for Hardy 'The Wanless' 4lb

Post by Deaf Cat »

The beefiest Wanless, the 9/10 has or had a test curve of just over 2lb
Not that I would ever dare test the strength of an old rod - I would leave that to a dreamed of fish.

The Wanless 4lb is more like half a pound I believe

Wanless was an early exponent of using light lines to spin for trout and salmon with the threadline reel (line no thicker than sewing thread)

For a definitive answer on recommended lure weight we need someone with a period Hardy catalogue, but I would guess that half an ounce (14g) would be safe.
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

DavidM
Stickleback

Re: Casting weight for Hardy 'The Wanless' 4lb

Post by DavidM »

Thank you for that, I was guessing about 1/2 oz maximum. Once I've tried I'll let you know the result.
David

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”