My LRH Number 2

The Hardy Rods forum.
MaggotDrowner
Zander

Re: My LRH Number 2

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Stu inspired me to get one of mine varnished today. I have been meaning to do it since I bought it, and that must have been a couple of years ago!

It is now curing on my windowsill and the resulting view made me wonder, am I quite normal?

In addition to the LRH I have an Aspindales Swiftdale curing in the window too.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

The LRH has quite a different action to the MkIV – I do like both of them but the MkIV is a superior rod in my honest opinion for casting light baits like floaters. Definitely worth having the LRH as a great option for some situations but don't leave the MkIV at home either!
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I adore my LRH no. 2, the cane is just gorgeous. When I bought mine it had about 50 layers of varnish on it. I reckon the owner (a Doctor) had put a coat of varnish on it every year either when it was taken out for the new season or laid up at the end. It was thick, black, cracked - like solid treacle. Of course the result was that when I stripped it all away the cane was as fantastic as the day it was varnished at Alnwick. Ted Oliver had a close look at it all stripped down and was very impressed. I have a photo of it here bent to under the butt with a barbel on the end (must find that).

Edit - found it - what about this!

Anyhow Stu., I do have a spare and you can have all the eyes. Just pulled it out of the 'spares tubes'. It looks like a 1960's rod like MD's. The tip ring sadly looks like the lining is cracked but the rest are all in need of just a little clean up (let me know).

Phil

The spare rod:

Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Beresford wrote:The LRH has quite a different action to the MkIV – I do like both of them but the MkIV is a superior rod in my honest opinion for casting light baits like floaters. Definitely worth having the LRH as a great option for some situations but don't leave the MkIV at home either!
I keep looking for really superb LRH no1 but it seems a bit tricky to find exactly what I want at the moment.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Continue the search my friend, have faith.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Phil , that's very kind. I'll send you a pm.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Beresford wrote:The LRH has quite a different action to the MkIV – I do like both of them but the MkIV is a superior rod in my honest opinion for casting light baits like floaters. Definitely worth having the LRH as a great option for some situations but don't leave the MkIV at home either!
I suspect Beresford is right and whilst the LRH suits modern carp fishing with its emphasis on casting lead weights the MK IV is better at at methods current in its period.

A lovely rod Stu

Maggotdrowner you are a vandal to even consider using one for catfish!
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

SeanM wrote:
Maggotdrowner you are a vandal to even consider using one for catfish!
:Chuckle:

They go to 30lb with the average being smaller. I'll have my Dad's 2.75 lb carbon as back up should I think it's a little too much for the cane to handle, but at the moment I have every faith in its catfish taming capabilities.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”