corbett cane rods

The Hardy Rods forum.
SharkBoy
Perch

corbett cane rods

Post by SharkBoy »

Hi guys can anyone post a potted history on these rods- i have seen various rods for sale - was there a complete range of rod types? are they special in any way? - do other makers make equivalent rods ? i would be interested to read some background on these regards Steve

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: corbett cane rods

Post by Olly »

Jim Corbett - Man-eating Tiger & Leopard hunter - present in 1952 at the ascension to throne of Queen Elizabeth II at Tree Tops in Kenya as a game warden. Wrote several books on the large predators in NW India - a fascinating read for me at 8-10 years old. A National Park now named after him in India.

Presumably the rods are for dealing with Mahseer. I have not yet got one!

SharkBoy
Perch

Post by SharkBoy »

Not Ronnie!! - man eating comic famous for very short fishing rods? lol

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

The Hardy Corbett is a 2 piece spinning rod 9ft 3" in length split bamboo made from 1920-57. :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

I would of thought maybe initially intended as a trout spinning rod ,I have one and its a very nice rod ,mine has two tops .no idea whom the rod was named after .but its a nice balanced rod .
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

It was for use probably where Corbett lived - in the Himalayas! If you read previous post above I have given a brief resume of his life.

He wrote the following books; Man-eaters of Kumaon; The man-eating Leopard of Rudraprayag; My India; Jungle Lore and Temple Tiger.

An angling friend visits his son who now lives in the same area as Corbett did. Trout & Mahseer river with my friend fishing.

Corbetts Tiger refuge - http://www.jimcorbettnational-park.com

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

A friend of mine mentioned a few weeks ago, totally out of the blue, that Corbett was his Great Uncle (I think that was the relationship). At the time I thought 'wow' but life has been busy and I clean forgot to follow that up. Thanks for the reminder!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I understand he was an exceedingly interesting man. Please let us know more.

Jardine
Perch

Post by Jardine »

I read Jim Corbett's "Man Eaters of Kumaon" in the 1970's after Jack Hilton published an article (in Angling Times?) about a 6th sense in carp fishing. In this article he mentioned Pete Frost and Corbett's book "Man Eaters of Kumaon" in which Corbett had described experiencing a 6th sense whilst hunting man eating tigers and which he believed had saved him on many occasions from imminent danger.
Having hunted and killed a huge number of tigers, Jim Corbett became a conservationist and protector of tigers.
Corbett wrote very well and there is a lovely chapter in " Man Eaters of Kumaon" about Mahseer fishing, "The Fish of My Dreams". It is well worth a read.
Around 1982, in London I met an Indian gentleman who was a sales rep for Yellow Pages, somehow or other the conversation got around to Kumaon and it transcribed that as an orphan in Nanini Tal,India he had known "Uncle Jim" who would visit the children at the orphanage.He described Corbett as kind man and who was very popular with the children.
It is one of my dreams to fish for Mahseer.
Best regards
Jardine

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

My imagination was well & truly fired by his books, hunting and fishing - in fact the wild outdoors! Ironic that after killing man-eaters for years he turned "conservationist" and started the 'Tiger park'.

He was at Treetops when the Queen was told of the death of her father in '52.

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”