Hardy Allround

The Hardy Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Hardy Allround

Post by AshbyCut »

For the past 4 years I've been promising myself that one day I'd own a Hardy's rod ... and I always try to keep my promises ! :Wink:

Winging it's way to me is this 11ft. Hardy's "Allround," which a well-respected member has described elsewhere as "one of the most delightful light roach and dace rods they made." 3 piece rod with whole cane butt and split cane centre and tip sections. Original stoppers and bag present.

It's in original condition ... so will need work ... so I'll do my best. Better photos will be posted when it arrives.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Dokterhoo
Dace

Re: Hardy Allround

Post by Dokterhoo »

I was tempted by this rod but worried that the tip was short with the closeness of the penultimate ring to the tip ring - hope I'm wrong,
Good luck,
Dok

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Dokterhoo wrote:I was tempted by this rod but worried that the tip was short with the closeness of the penultimate ring to the tip ring - hope I'm wrong,
My estimation is that it could be about 2 inches short, Sir ... but I can live with that.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Dokterhoo wrote:I was tempted by this rod but worried that the tip was short with the closeness of the penultimate ring to the tip ring - hope I'm wrong,
Good luck,
Dok
I thought that too but then again my floatcasters have eyes rather close to the tip ring and they look wrong but aren't. I think it's okay. Fingers crossed, Mal.

I have three Hardy's rods. All very nice and good quality.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Well done Mal :Hat:
I love my Allround, it is my go to small fish trotting rod, especially good for grayling & dace.
I have an early No3 which has whole cane butt & middle with split caner tip
I would guess your rod will be a little more powerful than my model.
I am sure you will love it :Thumb:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Pafpuff wrote:I have an early No3 which has whole cane butt & middle with split caner tip
It's a shakey photo, Sir ... but this one appears to be a No 2., and with a number of 32422 I'm thinking is from 1935.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

AshbyCut wrote: My estimation is that it could be about 2 inches short, Sir ... but I can live with that.
Sounds like a conversation from my honeymoon :tea:

Nice rod Mal..... does this mean a new Hardy obsession is about to unfold :Chuckle:

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

AshbyCut wrote:
Pafpuff wrote:I have an early No3 which has whole cane butt & middle with split caner tip
It's a shakey photo, Sir ... but this one appears to be a No 2., and with a number of 32422 I'm thinking is from 1935.

Mal,
The number 32422 dates the rod to 1955, which is correct with the Allround script on your rod.
The pre-war rods had a script "FWK Wallis Allround"
The No2 was essentially the same as the No1 whole/split/split cane, the difference was the No1 had nickle silver ferrules, maybe 1st quality whole cane & and came in an aluminium tube.
I am sure you will love it and use it well :Thumb:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Pafpuff wrote:The number 32422 dates the rod to 1955, which is correct with the Allround script on your rod.
:oops: ... typo !!! :Scared:

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Well done Mal, you will love using it. I think they are amongst the finest rods ever made.

Wal.

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”