hardy's Corbett spinning rod 9' 3"

The Hardy Rods forum.
Chavender
Eel

hardy's Corbett spinning rod 9' 3"

Post by Chavender »

I recently made a boo boo ,I was watching a number of items and I realised I should be bidding on a item .so in my haste I open up e-bay and my watch list and go hit the bid now button next to the description (rather than waste time opening up the item) with literally seconds to go .it turns out I won it .but its the wrong item ,i'd hit the wrong button in my haste .I was watching it as it was cheap but wasn't really committed to bidding on it , the item I wanted I missed . so now I own a hardy's Corbett spinning rod after checking the model against the hardy list I know it was made between 1920 & 57 and is as should be 9' 3" .at least mine has two tops both identical length and build .

after it arrived I noticed the butt ring was missing & one of the tips had a ceramic tip liner instead of its patented 'Corbett tip' ,the spare tip had no liner in its tip

I might be able to use the spare tip on another project and the bag might fit my hardy wallis avon .the Corbett's handle will need a clean up and some voids filling ,then the whole rod will require a re-varnish when I find the right tip & butt rings etc so another future project I guess. But its a keeper as its a very nice rod and balances out nicely and will make a great little perch & small pike spinner / lure rod when done .so for a unintentional buy its turned out too be a good find .
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Chavender
Eel

Re: hardy's Corbett spinning rod 9' 3"

Post by Chavender »

well a little update ,I was doing a project rod build and In doing so I brought a old hardy salmon rod too use as parts for the new build and it also yielded some parts that would fit this rod .I managed to get toe tip rings and a big butt ring ,so the quick refurb was on.

I didn't have the time for a total strip down & rebuild but a quick touch up was on the cards ,having secured the replacement rings I could just whip them on ,replace a couple of missing inters and blend in the whippings too match the originals then a quick varnish and it'll be good too go.

First I replaced the wire frame tip ring with a crystal clear one from the donor rod

To replace the ceramic tip ring ,I was lucky with my salvaged spare rings one of the tip rings was a milky off white agate which matched the new butt ring ,the ceramic tip ring will be used again on another project

This was a major improvement on the previous tip rings

There was a couple of intermediate whippings that needed redoing

Next I fitted the butt ring

I gave all the whippings a coat of varnish but left them un colour sealed

next I attended too the missing whipping by the coller

After a couple of top coats of varnish Its Now back to usable condition and tidied up ready for use.And looking good.
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

That Sir is a class act..... really subtle. Hat off to you. I really appreciate that post.

Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Post by Chris Bettis »

Well done. You have restored one of the great old spinning rods and one that I would have put a bid in for if I had seen it. You may be surprised how much power that rod has got and may well find that you make far more use of it than seem to expect at the moment.

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”